Delta shower, hot=cold, cold=hot

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew21

Reaction score
Hi there,

I had seen a thread with someone who had a price pfister model shower body/valve but my model is different.

I have the Delta 1700 (17 series) single faucet shower body/valve and when the plumber installed everything, i thought it was ok until he left. The water is now cold when the indicator is on hot and hot when on cold. I looked in the directions and tried to take the cartridge out, and wanted to rotate it so that the words hot side is on the opposite side. Well, here's the problem:

First off the words HOT SIDE is facing up. No biggie. I know the pipes are hot of the left and cold on the right, so I'll just take out the cartridge and put 180 degrees. WRONG..this is why.

Tried to take out the cartridge, flip it around put it back into the valve, guess what? it doesn't get to go in because there's a notch on the valve itself. I don't know if I'm doing this right because the directions say 'Rotate the cartridge so the word HOT SIDE appeak on the left. I took the cartridge out but didn't find out how to rotate it?! All I was able to do was turn the darn thing 90 degrees but I think I was turning the piece that makes it hot and cold. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you all!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
delta

The valve body usually has two notches, one on either side and the cartridge has ONE tab to go into one of them, depending on which way you have to install it.

Andrew21

Reaction score
hj said:
The valve body usually has two notches, one on either side and the cartridge has ONE tab to go into one of them, depending on which way you have to install it.

HJ,
I wish this valve body had two notches, but it only has one! I checked and rechecked to make sure. It was quite bizzare. Wish I had my camera with me.

Andy

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With the water running, can you tell which feed side is hot and which side is cold? Are there any marks on the valve? Could it be installed upside down? There is often an arrow or something on the valve to indicate which side should be up.

Andrew21

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
With the water running, can you tell which feed side is hot and which side is cold? Are there any marks on the valve? Could it be installed upside down? There is often an arrow or something on the valve to indicate which side should be up.

I cannot tell if the feed side is hot or cold. I would have to take the trim part off and turn on the water that way. When I am back in my apt, I will have to to check. I think it was installed correctly. The valve says UP and imprinted on top of it.

with regards to the cartridge, do I have to turn something ON the cartridge or just physically rotate the entire unit? Thats where I"m confused

Dan Pick

Reaction score
Looking at delta M & I sheet

From what you have described it sounds like the supplies are backwards (i.e. hot on the right). I would verify this by rotating the center knob clockwise. This should give you cold water only. As you rotate the center knob counter-clockwise the water should become warm then hot.

If this is the case a 1700 series faucet can be switched to accomadate a back to back installation. Rotate the cartridge 180 degrees and reinstall.

Andrew21

Reaction score
Dan Pick said:
From what you have described it sounds like the supplies are backwards (i.e. hot on the right). I would verify this by rotating the center knob clockwise. This should give you cold water only. As you rotate the center knob counter-clockwise the water should become warm then hot.

If this is the case a 1700 series faucet can be switched to accomadate a back to back installation. Rotate the cartridge 180 degrees and reinstall.

Dan,
Thanks for the reply. Thats what I did, but the notch doesn't line up again. Physically rotate the cartridge or move the cartridge? crap, let me goto the store and look at one. I'll report back!

Andy

Andrew21

Reaction score
AH HA! Got it. It was the stupid plastic cap on the valve that I had to take off. Rotated that bad boy and it was all set. Thank you all!

Andy

msunickb

Reaction score
I know this is old but I'm having the exact same problem. I just installed a new cartridge on our 1700 series to stop a slow leak and the hot and cold are opposite. I also only have a single notch so I can't rotate the cartridge itself.

What plastic piece was it that you rotated that solved your problem. I'm stumped.

Thanks!

Nick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks