Submersable pump blues

Users who are viewing this thread

nascar fan

Reaction score
Hello, i have a problem i need help with. I'm having a pump issue. I pulled my well pump, cleaned it and turned it on with just the pump in the water and it pumped fine. I put all the pvc pipe back on it, about 50 feet down and turned it back on and nothing. I noticed that the wires are put together in one spot with wire nuts. They are under water, will this cause a problem? I'm lost, i'm not a plumber at all.
Also does any one know how deep a 1/2 h.p. jet pump will pull? I have one that i was going to replace the submersable pump with but not sure if it will work as well or not. I'm guessing my well in around 50 to 70 feet deep and the house is about 30 yards from the well. Is this a good idea or a waste of time?

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wire nuts under water??Ask yourself this,"is it ok to drop a hair dryer in the bath tub while its running?" You need an electrical water proof heat shrink kit for that connection.That wire nut set up is bad news. I would stick with the submersible pump idea,just get it wired right.

SAM

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
nascar fan said:
Hello, i have a problem i need help with. I'm having a pump issue. I pulled my well pump, cleaned it and turned it on with just the pump in the water and it pumped fine.

What was it doing, or what was the issue before you pulled it?

nascar fan said:
I noticed that the wires are put together in one spot with wire nuts. They are under water, will this cause a problem?

Is that how the connections were before you pulled the pump? And if so, was there any evidence of something like at least a little silicone or anything else somebody had used to try to seal those connections? If so, that might confirm the cause of your problem before you might have to pull your pump once again.

R

Rancher

nascar fan said:
Also does any one know how deep a 1/2 h.p. jet pump will pull? I have one that i was going to replace the submersable pump with but not sure if it will work as well or not.
A shallow well jet will pull about 25 feet.

Rancher

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
A jet pump will NEVER work as well as a submersible pump that is properly matched to the well and the demand. If the well is big enough for a submersible, that is the correct choice.

The submersible is probably twice as efficient (half as much power for the same delivery of water), never needs primed, is not marginal on pressure, and is quieter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks