Need a sump pump opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Code0

Reaction score
I'm replumbing both of my sumps. They are both plumbed with 1 1/4" hose from the front to the back, then to the stack (it drains into the septic). I'm doing this work since it drains into the septic and because the hose from the back pump to the stack leaks.

I want both pumps discharging on a common discharge. I can't discharge the front pump in the front of the house since it's downhill from the street to the house. The back is downhill from the house (but no walkout on that side).

Anyway, I was thinking if using 1.5" PVC from the front pump straight up, into a long 90, then over to the back pump. The back pump would have 1.5" straight up to a tee that connects the front run to the back run, then to 2" for discharge.

My only problem is that in the front, there is a brick facade that sticks out about 1" or so from the side wall where the pipe for the front pump would run. I don't want to use more 90s then I have to. I could run the PVC along the floor, tee at floor level with the back one then up, but I don't know if that would work as well. Any opinions? Pictures of the affected areas below..

http://gallery.code0.net/replumbing-the-sump-pumps/

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My first thought is that it isn't a good idea to potentially run a lot of ground water into your septic system! The mechanics of combining two pumps outputs is better left for a pro to comment on. Is there somewhere else you could run the sumps' outputs? Maybe put in a drywell, or maybe a cistern where you could use the water for irrigation in the summer?

Code0

Reaction score
I know being plumbed to the septic is bad.. I didn't do that - one of the previous owners did. I'm just trying to figure out how to run the pipes. I plan on ejecting out the back of the house and down the hill - away from the septic system.

As far as the front pump, I can't send it outside in the front since there is nowhere downhill for it to go except for back to the house..

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need checkvalves. Would both pumps run at the same time? If so, 2" after the tee is fine. If not, 1-1/2" is fine.

Code0

Reaction score
Both *could* run at the same time. The front pump sees the most action. The back one is usually dry...

What about running up to the ceiling right away out of each pump vs along the floor from front pump to back pump then up..?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks