Hardiboard Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My daughter is redoing her bathroom. She is planning on a new 3 piece shower enclosure. It seems that 1/2" Hardiboard is preferred by builders for a backer which is fine, but what is the proper way to deal with seams and especially corners? I assume it would be somewhat like drywall seams with different materials of course. She will not be tiling the walls, just covering with fiberglass panels.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
We're pretty sure that we will have to take whatever backing there is for the current surround totally off to the studs. Are you suggesting we just use green board as a backing for the new surround? Not too clear on why it would be difficult to match 1/2" Hardiboard to 1/2 drywall. Appreciate all the advise.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
hardi 500 is 1 cm not 1/2" thick

Gary Swart said:
We're pretty sure that we will have to take whatever backing there is for the current surround totally off to the studs...
i can't figure this sentence out.
Gary Swart said:
...Are you suggesting we just use green board as a backing for the new surround? ...
Yes, any drywall that is 1/2".
Gary Swart said:
Not too clear on why it would be difficult to match 1/2" Hardiboard to 1/2 drywall. Appreciate all the advise.
This is serious. Hardi 500 is not NOT 1/2" thick. Its say so on the James Hardi web site too. (I think it's 1 centimeter thick.) This thickness discrepancy has been mentioned many times on many web discussion forums. It is a lot of work to build up to thicken the wall, and totally unnecessary when starting with 1/2" drywall.

david

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
And then, on the other hand, the fiberglass panels on top of the Hardi may just equal the 1/2" drywall that already exists outside of the shower. Go with the manufacturer's recommendation - if they say cbu, use it. If they don't, if this is a multi-piece shower surround, I'd still think about it. The joints could leak. Drywall doesn't like to get wet, even greenboard isn't much better. CBU, doesn't care.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks