(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Hardiboard Installation

Default Hardiboard Installation

My daughter is redoing her bathroom. She is planning on a new 3 piece shower enclosure. It seems that 1/2" Hardiboard is preferred by builders for a backer which is fine, but what is the proper way to deal with seams and especially corners? I assume it would be somewhat like drywall seams with different materials of course. She will not be tiling the walls, just covering with fiberglass panels.

Seam the joints and corners with waterproof mud and fibreglass mesh tape.

that is for tiles.

don't need hardi behind fiberglass panels. Also, makes it hard to line up to drywall since it is not the same thickness. Money wasted, imho.

david

We're pretty sure that we will have to take whatever backing there is for the current surround totally off to the studs. Are you suggesting we just use green board as a backing for the new surround? Not too clear on why it would be difficult to match 1/2" Hardiboard to 1/2 drywall. Appreciate all the advise.

Default hardi 500 is 1 cm not 1/2" thick

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart
    We're pretty sure that we will have to take whatever backing there is for the current surround totally off to the studs...
    i can't figure this sentence out.
    ...Are you suggesting we just use green board as a backing for the new surround? ...
    Yes, any drywall that is 1/2".
    Not too clear on why it would be difficult to match 1/2" Hardiboard to 1/2 drywall. Appreciate all the advise.
    This is serious. Hardi 500 is not NOT 1/2" thick. Its say so on the James Hardi web site too. (I think it's 1 centimeter thick.) This thickness discrepancy has been mentioned many times on many web discussion forums. It is a lot of work to build up to thicken the wall, and totally unnecessary when starting with 1/2" drywall.

david

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

And then, on the other hand, the fiberglass panels on top of the Hardi may just equal the 1/2" drywall that already exists outside of the shower. Go with the manufacturer's recommendation - if they say cbu, use it. If they don't, if this is a multi-piece shower surround, I'd still think about it. The joints could leak. Drywall doesn't like to get wet, even greenboard isn't much better. CBU, doesn't care.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014