(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Stinking Water from Hot water tank

Default Stinking Water from Hot water tank

This tank has been in service for years, after an outside (town water) waterline break was repaired the hot water has a terrible smell , if the same water is boiled on the stove it does not stink,
    Could it be the Anode ? Could it be bacteria ? The tank has been drained and flushed (supposedly) but problem remains. Please advise Thank you
    Last edited by Hogleg; 03-15-2007 at 06:41 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Try turning the thermostat up to max for a few hours and see if that helps.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Take whats left of the anode out and plug the hole. Drain it out while your removing the rod.

Replace the anode rod with an aluminum/zinc/tin (also known as an HA90) rod. Costs a little more, but is worth it because it does create the bacteria that causes the stink vs. standard magnesium rod. During the process, drain enough water out of your tank to add about 1/2 gallon of bleach to it. Fill it back up and let it set for about two hours. Drain the whole thing and flush it out, install the rod and fill 'er up. I did this and it worked great. If bacteria or an old eaten up rod is the cause, this should fix it.

Thanks to all that replied to my stinking water : it belongs to my sister-in-law out of state and this will give me something to go on
    Hogleg