Leaning Bathtub of Death?

Users who are viewing this thread

jenlcb

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I noticed a bubble of water in my bathroom wall, above my toilet, and between my bathtub/shower and sink. The plumber cut a hole in the wall and determined there was no shower leak or water damage of any kind behind the drywall.

However, I also noticed the drywall on the adjoining wall is cracked from floor to ceiling, right at the corner. The drywall is also cracking a bit at the floor, where the tub is, and there is some water damage on the lower wall and floor (I believe from shower splash that went unchecked for a while).

And when I get into the shower now, I actually feel myself sliding toward the faucet! I not only feel like there is a decline, but I can literally feel my feet sliding. Set a round bottle on the floor and it flies to the other end. Getting into and out of a bathtub full of water has also gotten slidy and dangerous.

How concerned should I be? Is my floor about to give way, leaving me to die a naked, lingering death in my crawlspace?

Thanks! :eek:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to have some one check the framing below the tub. Sounds like you may have a few bad Joices.

jenlcb

Reaction score
Cass said:
You need to have some one check the framing below the tub. Sounds like you may have a few bad Joices.

Thanks! Stupid question, but what sort of service would I call for this? Yes, I'm a new homeowner.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Call a knowledgeable carpenter that can be recommended by a few people.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While not the cleanest task, you might want crawl under the house and take a look. If you have a camera, take it along with you with a good lantern or flashlight. Sounds like you have structural damage under there. Could be water, termites, carpenter ants, over exuberant plumbers cutting more from the joists than they should when running pipes/drains or hvac guys running ducts.

jenlcb

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I had some guys come out and the joists are indeed buckling due to foundation settlement. I believe that when a large branch hit my roof right above the bathroom, it caused the jarring which eventually led to the problem. Now to see if my homeowners insurance will cover having the joists supported.

This is a great forum!:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks