(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Leaning Bathtub of Death?

Default Leaning Bathtub of Death?

A couple weeks ago I noticed a bubble of water in my bathroom wall, above my toilet, and between my bathtub/shower and sink. The plumber cut a hole in the wall and determined there was no shower leak or water damage of any kind behind the drywall.

However, I also noticed the drywall on the adjoining wall is cracked from floor to ceiling, right at the corner. The drywall is also cracking a bit at the floor, where the tub is, and there is some water damage on the lower wall and floor (I believe from shower splash that went unchecked for a while).

And when I get into the shower now, I actually feel myself sliding toward the faucet! I not only feel like there is a decline, but I can literally feel my feet sliding. Set a round bottle on the floor and it flies to the other end. Getting into and out of a bathtub full of water has also gotten slidy and dangerous.

How concerned should I be? Is my floor about to give way, leaving me to die a naked, lingering death in my crawlspace?

Thanks!

You need to have some one check the framing below the tub. Sounds like you may have a few bad Joices.

Quote Originally Posted by Cass
    You need to have some one check the framing below the tub. Sounds like you may have a few bad Joices.
    Thanks! Stupid question, but what sort of service would I call for this? Yes, I'm a new homeowner.

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Call a knowledgeable carpenter that can be recommended by a few people.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

While not the cleanest task, you might want crawl under the house and take a look. If you have a camera, take it along with you with a good lantern or flashlight. Sounds like you have structural damage under there. Could be water, termites, carpenter ants, over exuberant plumbers cutting more from the joists than they should when running pipes/drains or hvac guys running ducts.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Talking

Thanks, everyone! I had some guys come out and the joists are indeed buckling due to foundation settlement. I believe that when a large branch hit my roof right above the bathroom, it caused the jarring which eventually led to the problem. Now to see if my homeowners insurance will cover having the joists supported.

This is a great forum!