Stinking Water from Hot water tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Hogleg

Reaction score
This tank has been in service for years, after an outside (town water) waterline break was repaired the hot water has a terrible smell , if the same water is boiled on the stove it does not stink,
Could it be the Anode ? Could it be bacteria ? The tank has been drained and flushed (supposedly) but problem remains. Please advise Thank you

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Try turning the thermostat up to max for a few hours and see if that helps.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Take whats left of the anode out and plug the hole. Drain it out while your removing the rod.

Bbullockny

Reaction score
Replace the anode rod with an aluminum/zinc/tin (also known as an HA90) rod. Costs a little more, but is worth it because it does create the bacteria that causes the stink vs. standard magnesium rod. During the process, drain enough water out of your tank to add about 1/2 gallon of bleach to it. Fill it back up and let it set for about two hours. Drain the whole thing and flush it out, install the rod and fill 'er up. I did this and it worked great. If bacteria or an old eaten up rod is the cause, this should fix it.

Hogleg

Reaction score
Thanks to all that replied to my stinking water : it belongs to my sister-in-law out of state and this will give me something to go on
Hogleg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks