Pocket door Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Alvarto

Reaction score
When Wedi meets with drywall...

I have been looking further into the Wedi product line.

I would like to use the Wedi in my shower, shower floor (Fundo pan), and lower half of the rest of my walls in the bathroom. There will be drywall on the upper half of the walls, and entire ceiling (including ceiling over shower).

My question is, where the tile/wedi shower walls meet with the drywall ceiling, how to I merge these? Or does it not matter? I am concerned about the steam seeping between the drywall and wedi, leaving mold inside my wall.

Would the Wedi caulking or Wedi tape form a seal between the Wedi board and drywall ceiling? Or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks,
Tony

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
worried about nothing, unless real visible water (condensation) is going to come in contact with the drywall (and its paint layer) more often than can be dried out in the following hours. My opinion.

Most people extend their shower stall wall material right up to the ceiling. Seems you are planning on doing this. Some people actually let tons of steam condensation and water spray get on the small area of drywall that they put above the wall tiles that they stopped at sis feet from the floor and less than two feet from the ceiling.

Then, in the rest of bathroom, are you planning on using Wedi by then stopping it after it almost reaches the ceiling (say, at five or six feet), and then continuing with drywall? So far that is not clear to me. If you wanted to tile the bottom half of the walls everywhere and you wanted a tile ready wall that insulates for heat, like on an exterior wall, I would understand this, but right now I can't figure out what the "need" is.

Steam is not a big big problem in a residential application. Every once in a while, the air gets steamy when you come in and steam it up for a time varying from 5 to 60 minutes; then, after that for hours on end, the place cools down and de-steams itself. The exact opposite happens in a YMCA, a club, a gym, a 24 hour sauna, etc, where there is no break in the pressure. Normally within an hour or two you wouldn't know in a residential situation whether anyone had steamed the place up or not. The walls outside the shower are not subject to large stresses in terms of the water they absorb and then let evaporate or migrate out.

To do something really worthwhile with Wedi, use it instead of drywall for your ceiling, throughout the entire bathroom. Tile it. You get a beautiful effect. Ceilings get a lot of steam condensation.

Ask Wedi what other ways there are to finish Wedi if you don't want to tile it everywhere. Maybe a parging mortar mix could make a fine and smooth sandy almost stucco like look outside the shower.

David

Alvarto

Reaction score
David,

You are correct in that my tile in the shower will extend fully to the ceiling. The walls outside the shower will have tile from the floor to about 3.5' up the wall. Above that would be painted drywall (or other material with similar look). The entire bathroom ceiling would be drywall or similar.

For the lower half of the wall outside the shower that will be tiled, can that tile just be mounted to regular drywall since it won't be directly exposed to water?

I have emailed Wedi to see if they have alternative finishing options for their product if tile isn't used. Will post what I find out.

Thanks,
Tony

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
tile on drywall is fine too.

where the shower ends, extend the wedi a foot or two since this is still wet in my opinion. I have seen a lot of paint peeling in a lot of places, at the edge of the tile where the drywall starts after a shower or tub shower. Whether to plaster the Wedi or not depends on whether they say you can. I think so, since it takes cement, and plaster is similar.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks