Is my Toto Drake defective?

Users who are viewing this thread

WatFallet

Reaction score
I bought a Toto Drake online. The tank has a notch in it along the top (where the lid sits). In other words, if you ran a finger along the top of the tank with the lid off, just before you reached the right back corner (if you were facing the toilet with the bowl at your knees) your finger would dip down in a "U" pattern and then come back up. The dip is about 1.25 inches long and .5 inches deep.

Is this normal? I'm pretty sure it's not, but I haven't seen pictures of the back of the Drake, so I don't know for sure.

If it is a defect, I'm not sure if I should bother returning it. Since the notch is in the back, it's not visible. The big question is whether there will be a performance issue. What do you all think?

Leo427

Reaction score
Notch is Normal

I have two Drakes and they both have the notch. I bought them from a plumbing supply house.

The only thing I can think of is that it is a place to put your finger to lift the lid off the tank.

No performance issue.

Enjoy your Drake!

WatFallet

Reaction score
Terry?

Thanks Leo. Terry, what's your take on this notch? I know you've installed lots of Drakes.

I'm surprised there's no mention of it on their spec sheet:
http://www.totousa.com/admin/upload/pdfspc/s-cst744s-0203.pdf

edit: Ok, I see the notch depicted on the instructions that came with the toilet. Interestingly, the back of my tank isn't glazed. Shouldn't matter, but just makes me think less of Toto's QC.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some have the notch in the back, and some don't.

The water level is never that high, so it doesn't change anything.
Other brands have the notch too.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
watfallet said:
I bought a Toto Drake online. The tank has a notch in it along the top (where the lid sits). In other words, if you ran a finger along the top of the tank with the lid off, just before you reached the right back corner (if you were facing the toilet with the bowl at your knees) your finger would dip down in a "U" pattern and then come back up. The dip is about 1.25 inches long and .5 inches deep.

Is this normal? I'm pretty sure it's not, but I haven't seen pictures of the back of the Drake, so I don't know for sure.

If it is a defect, I'm not sure if I should bother returning it. Since the notch is in the back, it's not visible. The big question is whether there will be a performance issue. What do you all think?

It occurred to me that the notch is probably there to admit air to the tank when it flushes. When the water in the tank quickly dumps into the bowl, the water has to be replaced by air. If the top is a good fit to the tank, and there is no place for air to enter, the slight vacuum could retard the flow of water and affect the flushing action.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks