Leaky one-handle tub faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

kari99

Reaction score
I'm about to attempt my first plumbing fix ever so I'm a little nervous. I have a tub that started to leak a few weeks ago and it's driving me nuts. So far I've shut the water off and disassembled the knob.
Questions: Is this a job that should be done by a novice?
Can I use generic parts (washers etc.) to fix it. So far I haven't been able to find any "Eljer" parts at any hardware store, only Delta, Moen etc.? Any insight would be geat. Thanks. Kelly.
tubhandle.jpg

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Never worked on a Eljer faucet before, just their toilets.

First and foremost, to remove that bonnet nut it will be a two wrench deal; one to hold the body from twisting and one on the bonnet itself.

Get some penetrating oil and spray it in where the handle goes, the back side of the bonnet nut.

Be careful with over torquing the body as you can possibly snap the entire assembly off in your hands.

Parts either are going to come from the mfg or a supply house in your area that deals solely with a variety of products of the older types.

kari99

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, especially about the nut. I was trying with all my strength to get that nut to move, but it wouldn't budge. I'll definately get another set of hands to help me with it.

TedL

Reaction score
PB Blaster is the best, and is also available at Wally Mart, NAPA and most other auto parts places if the big blue box isn't near you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks