3/4" hot water pipe sizing?

Users who are viewing this thread

kurtk

Reaction score
I'm doing a remodel & adding a basement bath. The house currently has one bathroom and all the hot water distribution throughout the house is via 1/2" lines all the way back to the water heater. As part of the remodel I have to replumb all the branch connections to the old bath as well as install all of the new stuff. Does it make sense to run a new 3/4" hot distribution line and only reduce to 1/2" at each fixture? The water heater now has reducing elbows that I could switch out.

I'm mostly interested in doing something to maintain good water pressure with multiple fixtures in use. It will only be a moderate amount of additional work to increase the line size. Wondering if you all think this would make any real difference...

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
One consideration is that because 3/4" pipe hold so much more volume of water, it will take a very long time to purge the cold water from the line. You will really notice this at the end of the line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks