Best Vacuum for Laminate floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My 10 amp 7 year old Bisell is on it's way out--so I'm looking for a new machine which I bought when I had all carpeting.
My home is now all saltillo tile and Laminate. (except one room)

Looking for lightweight machine not prone to scratching these surfaces.
Don't know the first thing about buying one. recommendations appreciated..

TIA
Mike

Dan Pick

Reaction score
Oreck for me

I love my 8 pound Oreck but I have all carpet and ceramic tile.......no laminate.

I have 20 pound Sears Kenmore I bought as a refurbished unit about 20 years ago and it won't die. It is literally a upright shop vac. I pick up everything in the basement after I finish working, sawdust, wood chips, nails, insulation, pea gravel.......

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
I love my Beam central vac... Mostly because the kids will vacuum whenever I ask them to. Besides that, it will suck the chrome off a tailpipe...:D Plenty of power. I use the hard floor brush for all the main floor (all laminate & tile) and keep the power head upstairs for the carpet.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
What Spiff said. If you're looking for a really nasty home improvement project, this is it. It combines electrical, plumbing, carpentry, drywall finishing, and crawling around in the attic, but the end result is, well, spiffy.

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
If you have access from below it isn't too bad to do... It can be done w/o drywall repair on the main floor. Hire someone to install it and let them worry about the install. :p

Or you could do it the easy way... Simply build a new house and install it before the drywall is put up!:D

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
As I originally said I need a sweeper that works well with laminate as well as tile.. I think many people (especially in warmer states) are going carpetless these days--so any central unit is a waste of money and time.
It's just cleaner and doesn't smell--especially with a smoker and two big dogs.

Old fashioned dust mop works well in most cases but I want something for spot cleaning nooks and crannys.

Most debris collects along walls edge which makes it pretty easy.

Mike

Perfectionist

Reaction score
Roomba

Mike,

Roomba is not THE vacuum, but it does wonders if one hates housekeeping or to use a vacuum.

Fiancé had promised to tackle the latter because of his huge old cats, but he doesn't. So he bought a robot to do the job for him. :D

- It's better than sweeping since it usually pass aout four (4) times over each spot
- And because you don't have to bend to use the duster :eek:
- It's not as strong as a regular vacuum: mostly round brush action, but if it's not aimed to carpet, it's more than sufficient
- We use its "max" setting in a room with carpet, i.e. we don't allow it to decide that its job is done, we instead let it run its batterie. This way it goes everywhere probably six (6) times (a guess).
- It's low, so it can go below most furniture
- It's narrow (like a regular pizza), so it can go below most chairs, and besides most furniture
- We simply move the furniture a bit the next time we use it
- It doesn't fall down the stairs since it "sees" them
- It can move within various types and heights of floor, e.g. from a laminated living room to a tiled kitchen via that marble protection thing, which is higher than both

N.B. One needs a regular vaccum for odd spots, like the side of a refrigerator, small carpets, etc.

As for nooks and crannies, it might not be the best choice. But if the overall work is done by a robot, couldn't the refinement be done by a human?

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sorry...but I can't pay 400 dollars for wind up pizza box on wheels which my Pitbulls will probably stalk and Explode.

I'm filing that suggestion with the lady who told me I should get one of those fainting goats.

:D LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks