How to remove this... glue?

Users who are viewing this thread

azkyle

Reaction score
I am taking down an addition someone put up on this house a while ago. As you can see they were not pros.. I'm not sure what this is, but I need some suggestions on the best way to remove it. They used tons of this glue, and nails, to haing this stuff up to cover the brick. I want to try to take as much off as possible without ruining the brick so i can paint it.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like the brick was painted. Try a good paint remover to take everything off. You might try several different types. F505 seems to work for me.

Since it is brick, you might try a torch with a good flame spreader.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
might be FRP adhesive but looks kinda like cutback. Torch or heat gun to soften it up then scraper & wire brush. Hope you have plenty of time on your hands... good luck...get plenty of gloves, I hate blisters.

Dan Pick

Reaction score
Opportunities........

Looks like old Mastic, if thats the case it is easier to knock down the brick wall and rebuild it.

It could also be construction adhesive and in that case I have had good luck with a heat gun and a putty knife or wire brush.

Let us know your progress and good luck

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Try a small putty knife and a hammer to tap it with and see what happens, it may not be as bad as it looks sometimes that stuff almost falls off other times it is a bear.

When you get off as much of it as you can, if you still don't like it and the wall is always dry, never damp you can skim coat it with drywall mud then paint. You could texture it a little and /or do a faux paint finish to hide the roughness

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If ya just want to have fun with it get a auto body grinder with about a 20 grit disc, knocks it down pretty quick and you can do fancy patterns with the grinder.. makes a heck of a dusty mess.

azkyle

Reaction score
thx for the replies.. i tried the torch, but i'd probably go through about 20 cans of gas before its done so i got a heat gun... it works good but the progress will be quite slow. so maybe ill be done by next week haha. thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks