Repair or replace Kohler shower handle/valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

CSwinton

Reaction score
I just moved into a 9 year old house and the shower in the master bath has a slow leak (drips at the shower head, not handle). It's a single handle (turn) style shower handle/valve by Kohler. I've taken it apart and replaced the rubber O-rings which looked a bit worn. I neglected to note the model #'s of the parts. It has a large brass valve-body and a plastic cased valve/cartridge which is where I suspect the slow leak is. It is a shower-only model, no bath.

With a fixture that is 9 years old, is it possible to find replacement valve cartridges? If not, do I have any other options besides having a plumber tear into the wall to replace the entire valve body along with a new handle?

This may seem like a stupid question, but I work in Pediatrics and not home repairs. ;) Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, you should be able to rebuild the valve. Kohler seems to have a build of the day, though, and you need to get the right parts to do it; unlike Delta and some of the others that have used the same guts for numerous years. From what I understand, you'll probably have to go to a plumbing supply house and order the parts. Best thing is to probably take them with you. This can be a pain, as often you have to shut the house water off because there are no individual shutoffs in the shower. I've been told that the parts catalog for Kohler is more like a telephone book.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks