Shower light installation

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYsteve

Reaction score
I am renovating my basement. I am putting in a washroom with a shower. I roughed in the electrical and put a plastic electrical box in the shower. I went ahead and had the shower tiled. I am now ready to complete the shower light installation. The only shower lights I can find are pot lights. I thought, I'm hoping, there are other, none pot light, shower lights I can use. DOes anyone know of any?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
there are recessed can lights with a wet trim that can be used in a shower.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
i think you don't need joist access. I don't think these cans need to be screwed or nailed to joists.

You wire them (without the elec box) and insert the long leg transformer part into the hole and turn it so that it rests on some kind of flat support (which you slide in through the hole if you didn't foresee this before); it acts as a weight helping to hold the can straight, and the can slips into the sheetrock hole. Not optimal but it works. Ideally you have a brace or two installed in advance. The real weight is the transformer, and you can find a way to support it since it is beside the hole, not in it.

david

Prashster

Reaction score
You can get "vapor proof light fixtures" that might screw directly into the jbox. Give it a google. They're expensive, though, and the styles might be limited. These are for steam showers, but IMHO, I never trusted the rinkydink foam gasket on recessed light wetloc trim - at least not the one from Halo.

TedL

Reaction score
Your looking for cans that are the "remodel" type, not "new construction". Any halfway decent home center or electrical supply place has them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks