(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: heat pump??

Default heat pump??

how can I tell if my furnace has a heat pump on it it says it is a forced air high efficient natural gas furnace but says nothing about a heat pump on it. It was installed in 2000

Quote Originally Posted by possum
    how can I tell if my furnace has a heat pump on it it says it is a forced air high efficient natural gas furnace but says nothing about a heat pump on it. It was installed in 2000
    If it has a heat pump, it will have a system that looks a lot like an air conditioner, with a unit outside that looks like a condensing unit but is really an evaporator, that runs when the weather is cold. The condensing unit might be a combination condensing/evaporating unit. The telling point is that it will be running while you should be heating.

It is very unlikely that you have a heat pump without knowing it.

Rancher

Where do you live and what do you use for cooling? That would determine if you might have a heat pump or not.

Rancher

Read the plate on the outside unit, and look up the model at the manufacturers's site. In no luck, call a local dealer of the brand with the model #.

It is not common to use a heat pump in conjuction with a gas furnace, although it can be done. Look at the thermostat. A heat pump will usually have an orange wire for the reversing valve.