Putting in NEW KITCHEN myself NEED HELP with question

Users who are viewing this thread

njdeviljeff

Reaction score

Do I put the new vinyl squares even under my new cabinets or wait and place them on the floor after the kitchen's completed? Does this go for any choice of flooring I choose? Thanks. Need to know asap... please.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It all depends...with this type of flooring, it isn't as durable as say a tiled floor. The likelyhood is that you'll probably end up changing it out before you change the cabinets, so it would be easier to change if it didn't go underneath. Places like under the stove, though might be a good thing to finish - spills are less likely to soak in and the toekick of a new one may not be in exactly the same place.

The cost of the stuff probably isn't that much, so you can if you want to, then you have the potential of moving things or changing things around. But, the stuff underneath won't be subject to fading or other wear, so it may just show anyways. Getting the stuff to lay flat at the joint by the toekick could be a problem, but it depends.

So, I haven't answered your question...basicaly, you can do it either way.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Lots of Pro's and Cons

This is an much-debated topic. I like to lay the floor down before, but that's just me.

If you do it before, you don't have to worry about the edges lifting where they meet the cabinets (personally, I think 1/4 round at the cabinet looks like crap).

If you do it after, you don't have to worry about how the pattern lines up or doesn't line up with the cabinets (1/4" of tile sticking out looks pretty stupid, too).
If you do it before, you don't have to deal with all the cutting where the stove & fridge go, and whether there's clearance for 1/4 round (see above).

If you do it after, you don't have to worry about messing up your new floor with the cabinets.

If you do it before, it's easier change things, later (this applies more to ceramic tile, than your situation)

If you do it after, you already know exactly where your cabinets are going to wind up, and you can lay out the pattern to fit. (Oops, I already said that; just trying to keep things even!)

My main reason for doing it before, is that I'd rather have the whole floor be on the same level, and protected by the finish flooring. If you ever get a leak (and you will), the cabinets aren't sitting in a low spot, soaking in the pudddle. And they won't be hiding the puddle from view; the water will run out from underneath so you'll know about the leak.

I think that about covers it, but I'm probably missing a few

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tile

Regardless of whether you do it before or after, be sure that the recesses for the dishwasher, range, and refrigerator are tiled, and that there is adequate height between the tile and the counter top for the dishwasher to slide in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks