plumbing sink,Dw & disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

gypsy

Reaction score
our old sink had the drains in the center and was 7" deep..our new sink has the drains in the back & is 8-1/2 deep.
we have a disposal on the right, the two drains and a dishwasher on the left..we hooked everything up BUT when you use the dispoal Or the right sink is full of water and you release it, it traves stragight across and either up the left sink or out the dishwasher drain hose, (dishwasher is not hooked up yet)

is there a drawing some where to show the correct pipe layout.... we have a TEE sction from the two sinks * dispoal and then the cut out for the dW.

at the wall we have a "Y" but one is capped off because it was too close to the down pipe..

sink_dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
How is the dishwasher connected?
Does it have an airbreak or at least a high loop?
Can you not use the knockout on the disposal for the dishwasher line?

gypsy

Reaction score
setup

we could use the knockout but I feel the whole set up is wrong is there a way to post pictures here?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, you can post pictures, but you must decrease the resolution a fair amount first along with keeping within the max file sizes allowed. When posting a message, scroll down to manage attachments. Note, you can't see the attached file in the posting page, but it will appear inline if it accepts the file.

gypsy

Reaction score
everything is new

cleaning the drains is not the problem, everything is new... the pipes are all wrong..as you can see I need a correct layout.

Attachments

• Mvc-014s.jpg
    Mvc-014s.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 317

TedL

Reaction score
If the water draining from the right is defying gravity and coming up in the left sink, rather than going down the drain, there must be a blockage. Water flows downhill..........

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

1. That may be the wrong tee, if it does not have a baffle in the center to direct the water down, instead of letting it flow across.
2. that long tailpiece with the trap reversed is creating additonal resistance.
3. The dishwasher drain should be directed up against the bottom of the countertop, before being connected to the drain fitting.
4. You would probably get a better drain by connecting the sink to the end of the "Y" and the disposer to the branch, using separate traps.
5. Besides all this, you might still need to snake the drain.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't quote me on it, but I think that T should be a sanitary T. If it was, it would have slight bends in it so it would direct the water down rather than allow it to go across. The pump on the DW is just jetting right across. The knockout on the garbage disposal would alleviate much of that problem.

gypsy

Reaction score
will try changing the "T"

I appreciate all of the help..But I must make it clear there is No blockage..all of the pipes are new.... It only tries to go up into the left sink, if I have the right sink full & then let it all rush out, it doesnt seem to be able to make it down that quick 90* angle.

41Fever

Reaction score
Your tee has to be a baffle tee - This has a divider in it to direct the flow down so that it does not run horizontally to the other bowl. Also the 180 degree portion of your trap is backwards - Trust me it will leak at some point at the slip joint nuts. You say the piping is new - Is this including what is coming out of the wall? If not you could have a blockage in that portion & will need to have it snaked.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Loop the d/w drain.
Put a end outlet continuous waste tee on the bottom of the tail piece that the washer drains into.
Run a long tail piece from the disposal to that tee.
Redo the trap set-up so the drain drops straight into the trap.
You will have to reverse the j-bend on that trap. The way you have it slows the ability of the water to drain away.

And please clean that sink drain all the way to the main drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks