RPZ vs check valve

Users who are viewing this thread

mbartosik

Reaction score
Since my well pump was unfortunately a little oversized (3/4HP when 1/2HP would have done), I am going to use it to drive irrigation also.

The well is currently only used for ground source heat pump NOT drinking/house water.

Should I use an RPZ valve ($180) to separate heat pump from irrigation or will a simple brass check valve be sufficient (my guess $30) ?

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't know what an RPZ valve is, and I'm not sure I understand the question. Why would you need a valve at all?

bob...

mbartosik

Reaction score
Rpz

I need to stop back flow of potentially dirty water from the irrigation system into the heat pump system. So I should use at least a check valve.

If you connect an irrigation system to a domestic water supply a check valve is not enough. In the United Kingdom they used to require an intermediate tank. In the USA an RPZ (reduced pressure zone valve) is required. It contains I think two check valves with a center chamber (zone) that can relieve pressure in case of failure of one check valve.

Currently there is an RPZ valve between the irrigation and domestic water supply. But my well supply would be tied into the irrigation side. I am wondering if a second RPZ to protect the geothermal system from irrigation is overkill or whether an normal check valve is enough.

Connecting the well to the domestic side is not good because the well is not tested for potatable water.

An example of an RPZ can be found here:
http://www.plumbingpages.com/featurepages/OverviewGrant.cfm

Last edited:
R

Rancher

Probably a dual check valve assembly would be enough protection, that's all that's required on residential wells to city water supplies.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
Here you can't connect water wells to city water in any fashion. It's frowned on heavily by the powers that be. In my opinion, the city would be contaminating the ground water not the other way around.
bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks