Recommend me a good toilet from Home Depot

Users who are viewing this thread

geepondy

Reaction score
I'm having my bathroom remodeled and am going to Home Depot this weekend to pick out a toilet. What are your recommendations? I would like to keep the cost under $200. I replaced my downstairs one with a Koeler (do not recall which model) and I guess it was all right but one thing that worries me is that the ceramic is awfully thin in places, particularly in the back bowl area near where it meets the tank. I wonder if it would break easily. The toilet was not real expensive I think like $130. Is the thin ceramic the norm these days or does it have something to do with the price I paid. What I like about the toilet is that the surface is very slippery and things slide thru easily. I live by myself mostly so am careful to do a pre-flush if called for before using a lot of paper so I think a regular gravity one should be fine. Thanks for any advice. Gosh a forum on toilets, I'm impressed!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of the people have claimed good luck with the Cadet 3. A well-designed toilet will work with one flush for pretty much anything a normal human can give it.

geepondy

Reaction score
Thank you jadnashua (are you from Nashua, NH?). I will research the Cadet more. I did a lot more reading last night. I'm thinking of spending a little bit more and getting a one piece as everything else in the bathroom but the tub will be new. I can easily see that the Toto's get universal acceptance. It looks like the Ultimate is a very fine toilet but for considerably less money, I'm wondering if the Kohler Santa Rosa might be a decent second choice. It seems like both toilets are relatively quiet? My bathroom is small so I want relative compactness as well. I have an old Briggs, more then 20 years old in there now which does a marginal to fair job at best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Terry is not around right now but if you can wait till he pops in he can tell you which Toto 1 piece will fit your needs.

geepondy

Reaction score
Went to local fixture store that carries Toto. As they did not have the Ultimate in stock and I wondered if a one piece would fit in my little sedan as it was, I ended up buying the Drake EL along with the soft close seat ($45 for that little sucker). It will go in next week after the bathroom floor is replaced. I'm sure I'll be pleased with all the reviews I read here. The Cadet 3 at home depot was very tempting as I've read positive reviews here on that but I went with the sure thing.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
One piece toilets will be more expensive. And they are not always good performers. Unless you just have to have the style, or need a very low profile, consider a two piece.

If looking at American Standard, be aware that the older Cadet, or slightly newer Cadet 2, are no way similar to the new Cadet 3 which is getting generally favorable reviews.

At a home store, the only decent flushers are the AmStd Champion, Eljer Titan, Kohler Cimarron, or any brand of pressure assisted. Different stores will carry some of these, not necessarily all. The very popular Toto's don't seem to be available at the home stores.

Coz

Reaction score
when buying a toilet from HD or lowes make sure the box hasn`t been opened and its all in one peice. Twice got toilets to the job tank cracked/missing parts. very frustrating... I only buy from them if its after hours.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks