pvc not bonding

Users who are viewing this thread

foghat35

Reaction score
I have put together dozens of pvc fittings and never had one not take until today. I'm replacing a trap adapter so the elbow had to come off. For some reason the pvc pipe I am attaching the new elbow to will not bond to the coupling. The cement is melting the coupling but not the drain pipe no matter how long I hold it together. I tested the primer and cement on a few spare parts after the first failure and it holds fine but for some reason it's not working on this pipe. Even the coupling I used the first time holds strong on spare pipe. It's definitely pvc so I'm at a loss as to what's happening. Bad pipe maybe??

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Try a little sand cloth on the pipe. If all else fails cut the pipe back, get new pipe and use a banded coupling.

foghat35

Reaction score
I went out and picked up a couple more fittings, new pvc cement and a banded coupling. I cut the pipe back and tried one more time with new cement and pvc coupling. No dice. I'm at a loss. I have just enough pipe left through the stud for a banded coupling. Even though a banded coupling will do the trick I would still like to find out what's up with this pipe. It's not abs or cpvc and I never heard of pvc that was so poorly manufactured that it failed to bond. It also did have a slight drip at the old elbow so something is up.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
fogha*** said:
I went out and picked up a couple more fittings, new pvc cement and a banded coupling. I cut the pipe back and tried one more time with new cement and pvc coupling. No dice. I'm at a loss. I have just enough pipe left through the stud for a banded coupling. Even though a banded coupling will do the trick I would still like to find out what's up with this pipe. It's not abs or cpvc and I never heard of pvc that was so poorly manufactured that it failed to bond. It also did have a slight drip at the old elbow so something is up.

I've seen pvc pipe come in that wasn't smashed but it was ovalled and larger on one end and too small to fit the socket on the other.

I'd chuck the pipe.

foghat35

Reaction score
You were right Rugged. I took a micrometer to it after I read your post and lo and behold, it's quite oval. How the hell does that happen?? I didn't notice it during dry fit but then again I was rushing a bit. Unfortunately chucking the pipe is not an option since I would have to tear another wall apart to replace it. The banded coupling will work fine. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks