Replacing a lead soil tube

Users who are viewing this thread

ChrisTyrrell

Reaction score
While remodeling a bathroom (built in '52), I had to destroy the existing brass flange and soil tube in order to remove the flooring (Ok, I didn't HAVE to, but I did it anyway because I don't know what the heck I'm doing). The soil tube was lead, attached to a slightly larger pipe (not lead, not cast iron, galvinized I s'pose) which is then seated (and apparently soldered) in the cast iron closet bend.

If I can remove everything down to the closet bend, how shall I connect my new 3" PVC to the closet bend? :confused: If I can't do this, then I'll call the plumber, but I really don't want to call the plumber. $$$

I have access from above and below, and I'm picking up a Bernz0Matic this evening to begin removing the remants of the old soil tube.

Sincerely,
Chris
Des Moines

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Replacing a closet bend

pro_spec.gif

It probably needed to be replaced anyway so don't sweat it, 50+ years old!
Melt the lead off of the ferrule, (the wipe joint near the cast iron hub) and install a transition coupling. Fernco Pro-Flex is a good quality coupling for this purpose. Make sure you wipe all the lead from the brass ferrule. Make the transition to PVC with the appropriate size coupling. Don't forget to anchor the new closet flange to the floor.

Jotus

Reaction score
Related question to replacing soil tube

How do you connect PVC to a 4" cast iron pipe with a hub?

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Lead Bend Replacement

Jotus said:
How do you connect PVC to a 4" cast iron pipe with a hub?

Melt the lead off of the ferrule, (the wipe joint near the cast iron hub) and install a transition coupling. Fernco Pro-Flex is a good quality coupling for this purpose. Make sure you wipe all the lead from the brass ferrule. Make the transition to PVC with the appropriate size coupling

ChrisTyrrell

Reaction score
Thanks for the help - it worked

Your help regarding my lead soil tube was right on. I was originally planning on beginning with removing the solder around the ferrule, but I'm so glad I didn't after reading your advice. The ferrule turned out to be 3", just like my PVC and the Fernco coupler I had already bought. It all fits together like a champ.

Tomorrow, I'll be installing DurRock, then tile, then I'll fasten the flange and be all set to go.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks