Cracks in acrylic shower stall

Users who are viewing this thread

greenjujube

Reaction score
I have a shower stall with lots of hairline cracks. What is the cheapest way to fix this? I heard I can use some type of spray paint or adhesive to cover the cracks. What is your take on this problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need to attack the source of the problem, which is probably the "optional" step of bedding the pan in mortar was not done. Most of those things just plain flex too much, and eventually, without support from below, will crack. I kind of doubt you can do much. Stick around, though, there are some people that deal with this more often. But, if the bottom isn't supported well, any repair won't last too long IMHO.

greenjujube

Reaction score
Cracks

The cracks are on the walls about mid way up. I think my last tenant damaged it. About 12 hairline fractures that radiates from a center point on average 4 to 6 inches long. I pushed at the area and it still feels pretty solid.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I just did a web search for "acrylic tub coating repair" and several links popped up. It sounds like your problem is a simple surface problem that can easily be re-coated -- proper surface preparation will be key here -- and you might do a little additional research to see about whether anything special needs to be done to seal/bond those cracks against showing up again. Also, you should be able to mask around the bottom and re-do only the walls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks