outdoor faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Kathyg

Reaction score
My sister has an outdoor faucet that she has found running full force even though no one had turned it on. the first time it occured was after we had received aprrox. 2 feet of snow. The faucet is located about six inches up from a concrete patio deck, they actually had two shovel down through the 2 feet of snow to get to the faucet in order to turn it off and she said that it was on full force. It happened again after another snow storm. Could the weight of the snow somehow be heavy enough to turn the faucet on? There is no indication that anyone has been turning it on, i.e. no footprints, tracks left in the area. Any hints as to what might be the cause would be greatly appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't have a clue, but it isn't a bad idea to have an internal shutoff for faucets where it freezes. At least then, you don't have to dig around in the snow for it!

NPMSTR

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.prier.com
Take the handle off and see if it happens again. If the water pressure is excessive, that could open the valve, but I don't see how the water pressure could increase with snow?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks