"normal" water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Gitngoin

Reaction score
The water pressure on my house was just over 90 psi. I have installed a regulator (yesterday) and have it set to 60 psi. I was told this is the average and considered enough pressure. O.K. I know we have been spoiled by the former 90 psi pressure but it seems that 60 psi is just not enough.

What is a safe and reasonable maximum pressure for a home? I was considering going up to 70 psi but felt a need to ask the experienced plumbers here before doing so.

TIA

Michael

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The "normal" range is usually considered to be 40 to 80, 60 being "average". Regulators often come factory preset at 55. On a single stoty house, 60 should be adequate. If you have older, smaller pipes, you might be experiencing some loss that way.

The principal concern is the safety of fixtures and hoses. Things are usually designed for 150 PSI MAX, intended for normal operating range under 80. The higher you go, the more concern you have about things like flex supply lines and washing machine hoses. If you make sure you have braided stainless steel for all your hoses, 70 PSI should not be a concern.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're in good shape with 60 psi, however you have created what is termed a "closed system" with the pressure regulator. When you water heater heats the water, it expands. Without a pressure regulator, this expansion is absorbed by the city water main quite easily. The pressure regulator prevents this expanded water to be absorbed resulting in a very high and rapid increase in water pressure within the water heater. When the pressure reaches 150 psi in the tank, the TP valve opens to relieve the pressure. Sometimes the valve closes when the pressure is relieved and sometimes it sticks open. Either way is not desirable. What you need to add to the system is an expansion tank between the pressure regulator and the water heater. The tank costs about $50 plus a couple of fittings to adapt it to the water supply line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks