Does this thing actually work

Users who are viewing this thread

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I saw an ad in Scientific American for this. http://www.ecosmarte.com/

I read the info on the web site and it feels to me rather like a snake oil generator. Has anyone had any experience with these products or know of another independent review? Like maybe someone that tried it to replace cow magnets.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I clicked on the first pic, it scared the S*** out of me, my volume was up and there was some static before the guy started talking, wow what a rush!

I don't know about ecosmart, but I have a Chlorine generator on my pool. I don't know the exact science, but you put rock salt in your pool (like you would put in your brine well for your softener) get it up to between 2700 and 3200 ppm then fire up the generator. It turns sodium chloride into chlorine somehow. The water is slightly brackish and has a slight salty taste, but you shouldn't be drinking your pool water anyway. The water is much less harsh than it would be using normal chlorine.

The only draw back is the natural raising of the PH. I don' know what makes this happen but they all do it from what I've read. I highly recommend the units as mine is a year old now and I love it. I simply added a feed pump and inject a slight muriatic and water solution for about 20 minutes every day and the PH is perfect.

bob...

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
It scared me too. That is why I posted it. It has condictory information. Example - eliminate chemicals - can reduce chemicals by up to 50%. Text is not particularly literate and a bit odd. Up to $5K/system. I would be real interested to see real verified reports from the number of sold units claimed.

Thought maybe I could get an evngelist for the product and we could have some fun.

I have an ozone generator for a pool that is not yet operating (the pool). The pitch by the pool manufacaturer was it could eliminate chemicals. According to the ionizer manual, it doesn't.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
speedbump said:
I have a Chlorine generator on my pool.

This is the first I have ever heard of this kind of thing, and I am definitely interested. What recommendation might you have for my 9'-round, 1000 gallon, me-and-the-grandchildren (stock tank) pool? I already have a filter-pump combo (and an extra for backup).

Phil H2

Reaction score
At least I have heard of copper-silver ionization used for water treatment but know very little about it. Ecosmarte's claims sound similar to a company the FTC went after http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1996/08/caribb2.htm . I did a quick internet search and most reliable information concerns hospitals fighting legionella in there hot water system.

This site is particularly critical of the system: http://www.chem1.com/CQ/aquacrack.html#ELYTIC The link "One typical company" directs to Ecosmarte as well as the link in the sentance: "Their poorly written "Science Summary" is a compendium of unsupported claims, irrelevant tables, and chemical nonsense."

This breif report from a university has a more positive outlook on the benefits of copper silver ionization used for disinfection http://www.tifton.uga.edu/veg/Publications/GFVGA 2006/Session12-1Hurst.pdf

Speedbump

Reaction score
I can tell you that the chlorine generator I have works extremely well. My pool is only 10,000 gallons, so it's not a monster pool. The only thing I have to add is muriatic acid to keep the PH down. The chlorine takes care of itself. There is a control box that hangs on the wall with all the other pool equiptment. It gives the temp of water, salt level in PPM, amp draw of the generator and some other things. I didn't look at it last night to get the brand name. I'll look tonite and post back.

I highly recommend them. But don't know if they make them small enough for a 1,000 gallon pool. In the winter here in Florida, I have mine turned down to less than 20% and it keeps up nicely.

As for O-Zone, you will still need chemicals, either Chlorine or Bromine. The O-zone is very temporary and won't keep the water disinfected by itself. It only helps.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Ok, sorry I forgot to look at the brand of mine so I went surfing. This is a link to the one I have. You can read up on them there. They are a little pricey and may come done when they become more popular. Beyond the high PH problem they cause, I would highly recommend one.

Goldline

bob...

R

Rancher

Bob,

Sounds like you get something for nothing, takes regular water softener salt, breaks the bond between the Sodium and Chlorine atoms, uses the Chlorine to disinfect the pool water and, then re-bonds the Chlorine back with the Sodium?

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
I couldn't have said it better. Chemically I have no clue what happens, I just know it works. The water feels much better than when you use chlorine too. It doesn't have that harsh chlorine feel to it. The biggest drawback is price. I think they retail for somewhere between $700.00 to $1000.00

bob...

R

Rancher

Bob, and you test it with the normal pool test kit and you still get the right color yellow? Does it burn the eyes, or does it leave a salt deposit on the edge?

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
Yup, regular test kit. It doesn't burn the eyes like straight chlorine does. (I'm not sure why if it's making chlorine out of salt) No salt deposits anywhere. The salt level has to be between 2700 and 3400 ppm to keep the generator working. All I do is throw a few handfuls of rock salt in the pool when it gets close to the lower limit. The water has a slight saltie taste, but your not supposed to drink pool water anyway.

bob...

R

Rancher

Salt = NaCl so that's where the chlorine comes from, so you do use up salt and have to add some more from time to time?

Sounds interesting... now if I can just convince Mrs. Rancher we need a pool (in case of wild fires of course).

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
No, from what I'm told the salt never gets used up by the generator. It's depleted by the pool overflowing from rain. With no rain, evaporation means adding water but that causes no problem because with evaporation only water is removed and the salt stays in the pool.

Does that make sense???

bob...

R

Rancher

speedbump said:
No, from what I'm told the salt never gets used up by the generator.
Yeah that's what their site also claims, I tried to be a chemical engineer but gave up when I couldn't understand the organic chemistry part...

speedbump said:
Does that make sense???
No but it's hard to argue with it working.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
That's what I thought. But it does really work and I only add salt when we have a couple good rains, so that part holds water. (get it?)

bob...

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
speedbump said:
I have a Chlorine generator on my pool. I don't know the exact science, but you put rock salt in your pool (like you would put in your brine well for your softener) get it up to between 2700 and 3200 ppm then fire up the generator. It turns sodium chloride into chlorine somehow ...

Here is one of the simplest explanations of the process I have found so far:

www.chlorine-generator.com/Process.html

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks