Home Dep*t

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not sure about other parts of the country but I was in a HD the other day and they are now in the lawn cutting buisness and interior painting buisness. I guess soon they will be doing everything.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
services

They don't do it directly, but subcontract with companies that want to make up for low prices with volume. HD usually dictates what you can charge for the services and requires that you purchase your materials and supplies from them.

R

Rancher

Kind of like how Sears does siding... or re-modeling.

Rancher

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Box stores, Sears, and others have been doing this for years with kitchen cabinets, water heaters, carpeting and other floor covering, heating and air conditioning, siding, roofing, and probably lots more that don't come to mind immediately. It's not a new idea, just a continuation of how they try to get more of the consumer dollars. It's not necessarily a bad deal, but I'd sure check the price of installation they quote against what you could hire a contractor yourself. If the store is going to add 10% or more to what they pay the contractor, the bottom line to the consumer would likely be more that if the consumer hired the contractor. The extra cost might be worth it to some folks that just don't want to bother with finding someone to do the job. Pretty much the opposite side of DIY.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I think you will find that most of the HD and other subcontractors are non licensed, non insured and hungry for work because they just broke into a business they know very little about.

I would rather use a licensed contractor than some weekend warrior.

The other thing that ticks me off about them doing this, is it makes them a General Contractor of sorts without having the GC license and the county.state don't seem to care. Think about it!

bob...

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Plumbing not just for plumbers anymore

Yesterday there was a show after the evening news dedicated to the home and garden show in cincinnati.

They had one company that completely redid bathrooms with the skins over the old tub and shower and

another company that wasn't a plumbing company at all, showing removal/replacement of sinks/dishwashers/disposals, toilets.

I'm self taught on advertising and I have to admit.....if I was a consumer and needed plumbing services done, I would of at least been inclined to consider calling and possibly hiring due to the way the advertising was done.

It was that good and I'm sure, no license to speak of.

The HD I have the closest relations with in my area has went through 6 plumbing contractors. They keep asking me and absolutely not. I'll keep taking the leftovers and crumbs and keep the nonsense of nothing but water heaters for 7 days straight to a minimum.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Lowes And Home Depot ----hell On Earth.....

I worked for Lowes for 3 months back in 2000 and would
not wish that experience on a dog....

they act like they are doing you a great favor
throwing you crumbs....

and the customers Lowes and Hd attracts are the
worst and cheapest you can ever stand or tolerate....

they work those heater installers to death for practically
nothing and it does not matter what size has to be
installed....
about 120 each for picking up and installing a heater

so I ALWAYS recommend LOWES and HD for every

nasty , heavy 75 gallon gas down a flight of stairs I can.....

if they want that low end work ......they can have it....

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Home Depot bought a nation wide supply house. There are none by me, so I don't know if it made a difference in price, quality or service. But if the quality you get at a Home Depot store is any indication, hello made in China! Pretty soon we will reminince about the good old days when fittings and pipe came from Taiwan.

Speedbump

Reaction score
The name of that place is Hughes Supply. They showed up here about 10 years ago and cut pricing like crazy trying to take all the clients away from the other suppliers. There have always been too many suppliers around here anyway, then they showed up and really screwed up the pricing. Now they are owned by HD. Goodbye pump business. Everything will be junk just as kordts said.

I have heard rumors they are sorry they bought the place, but I'm not sure of the reason. Other than it's a whores market because of the number of suppliers here. I can name several. Gormans, Rite-Flo, DSI, TWC, Castle and Coast Pump. There are more, I just can't remember them all. I can drive to any one of them in less than an hour. Oh did I mention John Deere Landscapes and Florida Irrigation? I don't think I mentioned one that didn't have multilple branches, some in the 10's and 20's.

bob...

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
the rumors are true

Speedbump---- the rumors you heard are true.....

A long time ago I saw on the buisineess news that were trying to get their foot
into teh construction end of the sales market.....

Home Depot bought HUGHES supply and many others....

But they recently ousted the CEO of home depot
becasue they were completely loseing their asses in this venture..
by slashing proces and probably giving credit out to people in the constructioin
field that did not pay their bills....

now its all up in the air and you wonder how its gonna shake out

the only thing for sure is the CEO that got ousted probably walked away
with 200 mil....

Speedbump

Reaction score
Well I'm glad they are getting a taste of how easy it's not to do what we all have been doing for years. Maybe they will stick to what they know instead of getting greedy and wanting it all.

How do you become a CEO? I want to be one of those guys!

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks