How do you remove a bath tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
I cannot remember if this was posted by me before (been awhile since I stopped by) but how on earth does a DIYer remove a tub? It is not cast iron but does not seem as flimsy as the tubs today, prolly about 18 years old builder's grade:confused:

We started taking down the tiles by cutting an entire sheet of drywall off and that is working out okay. They appear to have put up a sheet of drywall on top another. Beats me why they did that. Below the first sheet of drywall is another sheet. No mold yet so that's a blessing.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
If it is a steel tub, you'll have to remove the walls at least 24" up, exposing the bare studs and the nailing flange of the tub in order to pull the tub out.

Disconnect the tub overflow plate along with the drain shoe, sometimes it makes the removal easier when you cut off the tub spout water line coming out of the valve.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
We had the plumber come out and shut everything off and he took out the drain flange? Not sure if that's what it is called. Who installs the tub, tile guy or plumber? We're doing the demo to save money.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
This is a tub so no tile work needed there. Do we need to have the plumber work on the drain before putting the tub in?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks