Stubbed in for a toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

angieb

Reaction score
This is probably a really stupid question but how do I know if my basement is stubbed in for a toilet. There is a pipe coming up through the floor so how can I tell if it is for a toilet. Only want to remodel the basement if we can put a bathroom down there. Thanks :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What is the diameter of the pipe and how far is it from the wall? A toilet needs a 3 or 4" drain line and it does not have a trap (it's part of the toilet, as opposed to a shower drain or a tub drain which needs to be below it). Does this pipe have a cap on it? If so, take it off, look to see if there is any standing water (probably not). Pour some water down the pipe. Does it drain? Is there any standing water there now? Is there a vent line near the pipe coming out of the floor? If it has a screw off plug, it is most likely NOT a drain line for a toilet.v My unprofessional opinion.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

It would be better if we could see it, but if a toilet is roughed in, there would normally have to be two pipes fairly close together. One for the toilet opening and a second smaller one for the vent, (and lavatory drain).

murf

Reaction score
generalmurf

If you don't want the aggravation of tearing apart the concrete floor consider a Saniflo macerating pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks