sticking submersible pump

Users who are viewing this thread

djl4392

Reaction score
I am trying to pull the submersible pump out of the well I have in my back yard. I don't think it is very deep as I am easily able to pull the whole works up by hand myself. I have pulled it up 30' or so and then it gets stuck. It was rather sticky in places pryor to that but a little gentle working up and down I was able to get by. When I get to this particular spot its as though as soon as it hits this spot it wedges tight. So tight that if I pull it into this spot to hard I have a real hard time getting it broke lose and back down a bit. There is no rope or cable, just 1-1/4" black poly pipe and the three electrical wires. Any sugestions on how to get it past this spot and the rest of the way out without breaking something and having the pump stuck in the hole?

Raucina

Reaction score
I had a similiar problem getting the pump down a hole. Finally I saw it hanging up on a lip in the pipe on a coupler in the casing. I think I stuck a cottage cheese container on the pump bottom to slide past the ledge. This little lip even caused the bottom of the pump to be dented quite seriously.

Try screwing - turning the whole assembly when you hit the obstruction. Be patient and do it repeatedly and likely it will pass. Sort of "vibrate" the pipe at the problem area.

But if you are in an area of a rock shift or loose gravel, then you might never solve the problem.

Be sure that the wires are being pulled in concert with the pump.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I believe I replied to this on my Forum this morning.

Raucina is right, turning it helps. If you are getting the wire guard caught on this spot, turning it may let it come through. Don't turn it when it's stuck. You may wipe the wire guard and wire off the pump. Or did you say it's hanging on Poly?

bob...

R

Rancher

Perhaps some water down the well might wash away some debris that collecting on top of the pump and maybe causing the sticking... you are pulling the electric cable up at the same time you're pulling the pipe, right?

Rancher

djl4392

Reaction score
Yes I am pulling the electrical wires up with it. I have also tried turning it a bit, and seems to make it worse. I haven't been able to turn it very far though. I have also run water down the casing hoping to "lube" it a bit. Nothing has worked yet. As I said origianally it was tight most of the way up to this point and all of the things you have suggested got it to were I am now. This particular spot though seems different, because once it hits it, it is stuck good. And I don't have to pull hard at all once it gets there to get it stuck hard. In fact I have to hammer on the pipe while pressing down to get it to dislodge, when all I did was pull it rather gently into it. All the other spots were it sticky, I was able to "work it" up and down and work it through. This spot it stops instantly and is stuck good.
If gentlly working it doesn't get it through, should I resort to more forcefull methods in hopes that what ever is jamming it will break away? How much force can I use? It is 1-1/4" black poly pipe. If nothing works to get it unstuck and the pipe breaks off with the pump stuck in the well am I just screwed and forget about using it or are there any other options?
Thanks...

Speedbump

Reaction score
You haven't said what poly you have. Is it 100, 125, 160 or 200 lb poly?

I pulled on 160 psi. poly with a rig years ago. It was 1-1/4". The pump didn't move and the poly stretched from 4' underground to around 12 feet in the air. The pump still didn't move and the rig stalled (wouldn't pull anymore). The rig was capable of pulling around 2000 lbs. straight up.

I know a lot of folks bitch when their pump takes a dump every 7 to 10 years. But in this case and many others I have seen, the pump actually lasted 15 years plus and would not come out. It became part of the casing due to iron, sulphur, hardness etc. Even with galvanized pipe that I can hammer on with a walking beam and a set of jars, the pumps would not come out. So now you get a new pump and a new well. What's worse???

bob...

R

Rancher

Is the casing steel, or PVC? I guess I should thank my well driller for putting in the 7" casing, even if it was a little hard to find a 7" well seal...

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
Yes you should, however I don't know what would have wrong with a 6" well and a four inch pump.

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You don't say what size well casing or the type. Maybe there was rope and it fell down the well. You may find someone with a camera to see what the problem is.

I've pushed a pump down to where it comes up a a few feet with no resistance and then when pulling it start turning it before it slows down. Cable guards and a torque arrestor or two could be the cause of the sticking.

R

Rancher

speedbump said:
Yes you should, however I don't know what would have wrong with a 6" well and a four inch pump.
I think he must have had surplus 7" from another job...? I know I didn't specify size.

Rancher

djl4392

Reaction score
I got it out finally, I think it was hanging up on the wire guard in an area of the casing that had a lot of rust build up. Fortunatly it was only about 45' deep total and got stuck around the 15' mark. I was able to run a piece of
1/2" pipe with a foot bracket thread on the bottom up and down the sides to scrap some of the build up off. After several scrapings it finally came right out.
Just wanted to thank everyone for there suggestions.

Sam

R

Rancher

Hey, Good Job.

Congratulations, a lot better than breaking it off and having to drill a new well.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks