Sand Point well- How Do I Do It?????

Users who are viewing this thread

First-Timer

Reaction score
Iam trying to put in a sand point well.. from what ive been told iam going to put together a steel shaft of pipe with a hard pointy end on it to drive through the ground 40-50 feet.... My ?'s are where do i find such a end piece for a job like this.. what kind of cuplers do i look for that are going to be air tight? how long should the pipe be and how thick? I need to know everything soon so i can get water thanks ROB......:)

sucker dave

Reaction score
my advise is to do some reasearch on this site to find the answers to your questions. 40-50 feet is deep. Use at least 2" dia pipe and get a lot of ben-gay for your sore shoulders.

R

Rancher

first-timer said:
Iam trying to put in a sand point well.. from what ive been told iam going to put together a steel shaft of pipe with a hard pointy end on it to drive through the ground 40-50 feet.... My ?'s are where do i find such a end piece for a job like this.. what kind of cuplers do i look for that are going to be air tight? how long should the pipe be and how thick? I need to know everything soon so i can get water thanks ROB......:)
Try this site since all the other well suppliers are selling CSVs.

http://www.deanbennett.com/sand-blocker-drive-point-screens.htm

It's not just normal 2" pipe with a hard pointy end on it. Special pipe and fittings and point.

sandblocker-drive-point.gif

Rancher

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are going to need galvanized pipe w/ drive couplings.Ive used schedule 40 in the past with no problems. Some well suppliers will have a drive weight that you can rent to hammer the pont into the ground. You will need a 2' piece of galvanized pipe for the weight to slide on and that will get atatched to each 5' section of galvanized pipe that you hammer into the ground.You should get a 4' 10 slot johnson well screen v wire type,the one that rancher showed you does not have the same amount of entrance area and will plug up much quicker. I would start the hole by getting a post hole digger and digging down 5' because you first section with the drive pipe,a section of pipe, and your point will be 11'. With the hole dug you will have a total of 6' sticking up wich will be much easier to deal with. The first section is always the hardest. Make sure each joint is super tight and always snug up the pipe every so often because the couplings below have a tendency to loosen up as you drive each section. You will also need someone to keep that pipe nice and straight as you drive the well.

SAM

Speedbump

Reaction score
Yes, and I would add, most hand driven wells in the US are 1-1/4" not 2". You will need a hand pump (pitcher pump) to test the well once you think your getting close. Test pump at before screwing on a new piece of pipe to see if you are in any water at all or to see if going another 5' will be necessary.

The best hammer I have used is a piece of 6" pipe filled with lead. The pipe can be around 12". A 1" piece of solid cold rolled steel should be straight through the center of the 6" pipe. This stem will go down into the 1-1/4" pipe then you can put handles on the six ince to pick it up and down to drive the pipe. The stem needs to be long enough so when you pull the hammer up, the stem stays well into the drive pipe so you don't pull it out and stab yourself in the leg. The stem keeps the six inch pipe perpendicular to the drive pipe so you aren't breaking joints. Of course the six inch has a plate on the top and bottom. The bottom should be at least 1/2" steel to take the hammering. Drive couplings are nice if you can find them. I have a few around here somewhere and I also have the hammer I described above. I built it last year for my son-in-law. I would loan it out but the freight would be horrendous.

bob...

Attachments

• Hammer.jpg
    Hammer.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 8,144
R

Rancher

They also carry what is equivalent to the 10 slot Johnson well screen.

$ 42.95
114X36X30
1-1/4" x 36" x 30" Stainless Steel Standard Drive Point
with 60 gauze wrap equivalent to .010" slot, is 36" overall length with 30" of screened length.
$ 64.95
2X36X30
2" x 36" x 30" Stainless Steel Standard Drive Point
with 60 gauze wrap equivalent to .010" slot, is 36" overall length with 30" of screened length.

Also if you use 2" for you pipe, your can use a deep well packer on it if you don't get sufficent water at 25'.

Rancher

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks