Water softener drain air gap or check valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

mrshanno

Reaction score
Hello

I just had a water softener installed. It was installed directly to my sewer line (municipal sewer system) via pvc pipe with a check valve (metal type), and then to a trap then to sewer line. The softener is about 30 feet or so away from where it hooks into the sewer.

Is this sufficient to prevent potential cross connection problem, or should it definitely be an air gap type installation? If so, I was thinking of connecting to the pvc drain pipe and drilling through the floor (crawlspace) and using one of these air gaps that fit on top of your washing machine drain
airgap01.gif

airgap02.gif

There isnt a problem with connecting the existing pvc pipe with the flexible hose type is there?

Thanks for any advice you can give

Last edited:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
The softener should have an air-gap between the discharge and the sewer system/P-Trap.
Discharge line material should not matter

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have never seen that type but it looks O.K. from the drawing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks