Drip Trap for Propane Appliances

Users who are viewing this thread

FredC

Reaction score
Do You need to install a drip trap on a vertical line going to a cook stove. I have 14 ft of 3/4 balck pipe coming down through the wall to a cook top. Should I add a tee and a 6" nipple with a cap to the end at the bottom. The source is LP gas. Thank you.

Fred

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
If you have the material and ability, I would...
Put the tee in, a 3" nipple, a ball valve and another 3" nipple with a cap...
If and when you do decide to "clean out" the dirt leg, just close the valve, remove the cap and clean it...
Then replace the cap and re-open the valve...
You may never need it, but if you do, the valve is a good idea...

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
When our gas meter was replaced a year or so ago, the worker came inside to check for unlit pilots and so on, and when our furnace would not light itself, he pulled the cap off that "drip trap" or "dirt leg" for a few seconds to purge the air from the line ... and that is why I would install one.

Coz

Reaction score
Its designed to catch scale and moisture. i have pulled drip caps and gotten enough water to block the line.(in a commercial building) They are required by code in my state.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks