Another estimating/pricing question

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Randi, I might have a lead on a plumber, lol. He is as old as the hills, but, experienced enough, and was told he loves to plumb, was told he is very very good. I was told he lived for plumbing. I haven't talked to him yet, cause of the time, it is late. But, I plan on it earlier tomorrow.

There is something wrong with this bathroom. I still think it is the floor. I think they screwed it up where there might be a few different things wrong; so, in essence, it might take more than a plumber to fix it, come to think of it. I might need someone who can make a better floor. Honest to God, the area of space around the flange is one of the problems. I think there is really only 2 screws holding it down, and they are only screwed thru luann board. I don't know much about wood at all, but, I think it is pretty thin. I can see the screws thru the access panel, which I had to fight to get. Yes, fight to get. I paid one handyman 50 bucks to put it in, and he did not do it; then, paid 150 to the one plumber to cut it in. I got screwed on that, too. Even getting an access panel. I don't mean to complain, lol, honestly, but, I am really sick of this.

This one plumber, this older plumber comes highly rated, but, I will tell you what, unless, he sees something to the floor, I don't think it will matter much how he sits this toilet down. I think there is something to the heating vent or ductwork, too. It never did the banging noise before, when I say before, I am talking about before I needed to replace the bathroom here. Now, when the furnace comes on and off, so does this vent. It contracts and expands, I know that much, and have figured out it is mostly liking explaining the noise, which is no biggie; but, I think it is flexing the floor right on the edge of the toilet somehow.

I would bet my cat on it, lol. And, I love him dearly. lol. Not enough not to gamble with him, lol.

I am not at fault with this problem. It is not anything I have done wrong, or not done, or should had done; I have paid my dues on this, and them some.

I can't fly you in, Randi, lol. But, I know this much, and Rugged, I am being quite honest when I say, and as you have said, Randi, this area sucks with the plumbing industry.

I put a new roof on, it is great. The servicemen were great. I put in a new furnace, again, no problem. It is great, servicemen were great. I have done plastering and met the most wonderful older man who did the work, beautiful work. Then, I met the plumbers...

...not all the plumbers were *******es, I am not saying that, although some absolutely were; just some plumbers could not fix the problem. The toilet still leaked. I have had those plumbers, the nice ones, back a few times each resetting it, redoing this or that to no avail. They could not fix it. It is nothing I can be faulted for.

There is a problem somewhere, that no matter who I get, can't fix it. I think it is the floor. I keep saying that, I have actually gotten down on the floor with a level, and friends, it aint even. I don't know how much that plays into the problem, but, shouldn't it be even? It is not off enough to make a marble roll or nothing like that, but, shouldn't the toilet be shimmed?

Just my 2 cents worth. You got to admit, one thing, I am learning.

Cookie

Reaction score
Here is what I am going to do. When this toilet is pulled off, either by me or another plumber, whoever, I will take pictures of the floor, the flange, the furnace, and the toilet. I might even include me holding a cookie. lol. Seriously, I am going to do this. I bet anything, (the cat again) that one of you guys, will look at it, and just know off the bat. I would bet my last dime on this. Also, I will NOT sit that toilet down until I post the pictures and get your opinions. No sweat off my back to wait. I will actually tell the plumber, if I use one to pull it up, he will have to come back another day to set it down. I want your opinions this time first. Whoever, gets it right, gets a nice tin of cookies, lol. and a big hug sent your way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

1. I would not come out and give an estimate on such a small job. It would cost as much to check it for an estimate as it would to do the job, usually.
2. What is he doing that would cost $900.00? For it to run that much, there must be something very obvious that is not right.
3. You must live in an area of very bad, very expensive tradesmen.

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, I don't know. I talked to the other plumber, an older plumber, maybe a wiser plumber, and he quoted me on the phone between 150 to 2. That is ok, that seems normal. My elderly neighbor once had a drain clogged, and it got taken pretty good, it was outside they had to dig up. Well, that plumber told my neighbor, that he could 'see' that my drain was clogged. Well, their is nothing wrong with my drains. I may not be the brightest lightbulb in the box regarding plumbing, but, I did not fall off the turnip truck either, lol. I don't know how he could ' see' my drains. That just made me laugh.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rugged , Ya brought a tear to my eye this mourning !!! GOD that story of past days on the (LOTS) of sites brought back memories both GREAT & BAD !!

Frozen hands / Sweat pouring like water ! Now I just do service and lite remodel , however there are a few times a year when I think I miss new work.

Folks think we make SO MUCH MONEY ,,,,,,, If they only knew what we have been through / go through EVERYDAY !!!!!!!!

Just wanted to say ,,,,,,,,,, THANKS for remembering !

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Cal... yep... I made $3500 on one really unusual week... that was the profit..and mostly all cash. Then I had a few ailments, hobbled with inflamed achilles tendons and could hardly walk from the work I had been doing. Couldn't get up and down very well for a few days, then I cut a finger really bad and had to be careful that I didn't handle sewerage for a while. In all... I hardly made another $500 the next month....and I have to pay all of my own insurance, cell phone, advertising, and vehicle costs.... If I get lucky and make $50k this year it will be like having a "real job" making $20k....but I'd much rather be self-employed and plumbing than imprisoned in an office pushing a pencil.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Okay... I'll blame it on Cookie for hijacking my thread... I still don't have a clue how long I should figure spending on this job... someone just give me a W.A.G. and I'll shut up about it.... I can put a price together (no problem) if I can get a reasonable quess at the time required to do the job. I almost always work alone. Helpers get in the way and slow me down too much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had another contractor ask me to give him a quote (price per fixture) on a luxury home nearby... all he said was 21 fixtures including the icemaker and other small stuff...plumb from meter and to septic tank... all copper water, pvc waste. As a 1 man plumbing company how much time should I allow to get a "normal" project as this done? It is a house on a slab with a second story....conventional stick built lake home....high dollar gated community ....pricing is to include stops & shower valves....???????? Any guesses out there? All I have to compare to is that it takes me about 3 days to do the same for a remodel on a single bath house I can flip when I install all new plumbing. I need to pick up this job really bad.......

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hey Cookie.... the money is great when I can make it... I just don't get to make it often enough. I'm sitting here with 3 college diplomas on the wall... not really a waste of time but...as for the money... blue collar work is paying a heck of alot more for the slave labor than the slave labor in office jobs unless you get a hot shot sales job or a "professional" job such as doctor, lawyer, or CPA...and there are lots of plumbers who make what lots of lawyers do... but not many lawyers have to get up a 2 or 3 a.m. to crawl thru mud and stick their arm in sewerage to get a pipe or fixture straightened out or come home with all that juicy stuff on their clothes from head to toe. Not only am I in it for the money...but for some unknown reason I just like it...and have to work with my hands since my brain is on the blitz....

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No offence taken madam... I like your posts! Kinda brighten my day... I just wish it was all profit every day... I ran into a guy the other day who's still installing water heaters for $100-$125... kinda blew me away. I don't think I'd trust his plumbing but he is licensed and stays busy....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks