Why is it working?

Users who are viewing this thread

MaddieMom6

Reaction score
HI all.. it's been quite a while since I have been here... Nice to see that everyone is still busy with plumbing projects. While working on putting our new shower in it came to my attention that my MIL ( who lives with us in her own place that is within ours) does not have ANY venting of her plumbing.. I have looked and looked and there is not one. The thing is.. the system works, her shower drains, her toilet flushes and her sink drains.... so uhhhh not to dump over the apple cart.. but..WHY is it working?

My fear is that there is an open vent in the wall ( it would be JUST like the guy who use to own this place).. so while this is not an issue right now since it's all working I would like to get ready to address this since the bathroom I am working on is right above hers I want to add a vent line ( my bathroom happens to have two) or more to a point a way to tie into those lines when the time comes. Not to be morbid but she is living in what will be our master suite and is near 90 so after she passes we will take back over that 1200 ft of the house with a total redo ( rip out her kitchen put in a big bathroom etc)... and at that point I want to have a the plumbing vented if in fact it's not right now. Thoughts? suggestions???? Can the system really be working with no vents???

Maddiemom6

MaddieMom6

Reaction score
found it

:rolleyes: well I found the vent... or what it they put in as a vent.. UGH!.. I found it under the insulation.. or should I say the stub of the pipe... it's been sucking air from the crawl space between the floors of our home ( old home 24 inches between floors. So that is WHY the system works. Oddly enough if it's quite near the vent for our bathroom so it will be easy to tap into. I just need to get to the big box store since the vent in the wall is HUGE... up on the thrid floor level it's at least 3 inches maybe more and my local place as much as I like them has almost no PVC parts. I am going to be kind and just decide that they forgot to hook up the vent and since the system worked not one ever thought about it but I am sure glad I found it now instead of after I got the new flooring in! :eek:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Actually, your drains would work just fine with no vent whatsoever. However, you would have some gurgling noises, and you would have traps being sucked dry, leading to odor problems.

MaddieMom6

Reaction score
wow.. really???

Jimbo,

That is interesting.. I thought they would not work ( or at least not work well) without a vent. Guess I based that on what I heard and expereince from the time the Chipmunk got wedged and died in our vent for the kitchen plumbing... the damn drain was SO slow and the dishwasher ended up barfing up into the sink.. took quite a while to dawn on me that something could have been in the vent line and it was NO fun when I found it. But soon as the little bugger was out the water drained freely.. maybe it was just bad spirits ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks