Getting a tub up to a third floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

eastcoasttoph

Reaction score
I am remodeling an old three story home's top floor into a master bed w/ master bath. I can not figure out how to get the tub the client would like into the room. The old stairwells are narrow and short. Short of lifting the tub w/ a crane(which I have been unable to find anyone willing to do) are there any tubs that come in multiple pieces or is my only choice to scratch the tub or build a tile one from scratch.

jrseaberg

Reaction score
tub lift

When I have had to lift things to the roof of my building, I have had a sign company do the lift for me. Some of their trucks have lift capability. Typically, they will charge me $100, which is a lot cheaper than hurting my back!

Can you get it into a 3rd floor window, maybe?

Jim

cbl

Reaction score
Can you have a tub liner installed over the old tub instead of a complete removal/replace? Liners only weigh about 40 pounds. Just stand it up on end and walk it up.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Check out rental yard. My genie lift lifts 600 lbs about 27 feet high.

There are different size lifts. Any Ironworker can rig a gin pole off a flat roof or window. also roofers have trypod A frames to hoist gravel and hot tar.
another way is 2 pump jacks with allum planks. I have all this equeptment
in My const. yard. Marin Co .Ca. You near by? Hope you have liabilty Ins.

I do :)

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
eastcoasttoph said:
I can not figure out how to get the tub the client would like into the room ... are there any tubs that come in multiple pieces ...

If you are talking about only a tub, I have only ever seen one-piece tubs other than when there are removeable legs underneath. But if you are talking about a combination tub/shower unit, then yes, those can come in two or more pieces for remodel work and can be negotiated through just about any passageway.

eastcoasttoph

Reaction score
trying with the sign companies now and i'm making a little headway. I don't have any heavy machinery experience so operating anything is out of the question. Thanks for the help its been useful. And getting to Marin Co, from north jersey may prove too costly but thanks anyway.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

I assume this must be a cast iron tub, because any other material, including Americast would be transportable up the stairs. Once you get the tub up to the third floor outside the building, how will you get it through the wall? take out a window?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I used to drive a truck with a boom and have set many bundles of lumber through window openings and sheet rock through large door openings ... and I have even dropped tires into septic tanks! Maybe a local lumber yard could help you out if you have a sufficiently-sized hole to go into and the septic tank is well-marked beforehand.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
tub depth and height

FWIW tell us the dimensions of the tub, the width of the staircase, if there are turns, width of the door at the top, etc. I believe odds are it can be fit up the space defined by staircase opening and door opening.

david

eastcoasttoph

Reaction score
No its not cast iron, in fact they would just like a decent size whirlpool. unfortunately the clearance on the stairs is severely limited because each flight takes two turns. So the first leg of the next flight is above your head at the turn. Trust me its tight. But I'm still working on it and i'm pretty certain I will figure something out, its been heplful having different perspectives.

TedL

Reaction score
Have you considered renting a scissor lift or "personnnel" lift from a construction equip. rental service, to bring itup through a window?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks