Well Pump Not Working???

Users who are viewing this thread

livpl

Reaction score
Hello. This morning we woke up and had no water. When I went to the basement the fuse on the breaker box had tripped. Everytime it was reset, it would trip again. My husband took the cover off of the pressure regular box and when he would touch the two contacts together the breaker would trip everytime. Would this mean that the pump is bad? I went to Lowes to look at new pumps and it seems it would be much more inexpensive to replace ourselves. If we go this route and it is the problem, what is the process of replacing the pump.

Thanks in advance for any help. This is our first encounter with this issue.

R

Rancher

livpl said:
Would this mean that the pump is bad?
Yes the pump is probably bad, I assume this is an above ground jet pump that you can easily get to... we probably need more information, or a picture to help you replumb it. It will need to be primed after installation to work, the method of re-priming should be in the instructions.

Rancher

livpl

Reaction score
Well Pump Not Working?? Pump in well

Hi. Thanks for the response. The pump is actually down in the well.

R

Rancher

livpl said:
The pump is actually down in the well.
The reason I assumed it was above ground, is that you were going to replace it yourself, so tell us more about the well, pump etc. i.e. how deep is the submersible? Is it a 3 wire pump, i.e. does it have a control box that might have a bad capacitor, or relay.

Rancher

livpl

Reaction score
Details on Pump

Our well is ~300' deep. It is a 2 wire and does not have a control box.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
To know what pump you need, you should take the old one out of the well and duplicate it. That's if the pump is bad, it could be the cable causing the short.

You should electrically troubleshoot the problem before doing anything. Then pull the pump but... if you haven't done this before or seen it done, I suggest it may be a bit over your head. And if you have galvanized drop pipe, you need some heavy equipoment to lift it and hold it while you unscrew 20' sections. If you drop it down the well, you may need to drill a new well.

livpl

Reaction score
Details on Pump

Found out our well is 405" deep and takes a 2 wire 3 gpm pump. The company is saying it would be ~$1600 to replace. Is this a good price or are we being ripped? Not sure whether to go ahead and have someone do it or try it ourselves.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You still don't know how deep the pump is set. But with a 3gpm pump, I would have to assume the well is a low yield well which means the pump is near the bottom. You would be better served to let them do it. They have the knowledge and equipment. You don't. If you drop the pump and all attached pipes from one little slip, your in a lot of trouble.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks