Help choosing 10" rough-in toilet!

Users who are viewing this thread

RSchofield

Reaction score
I'm tired of unclogging one of the toilets in our house. The toilet was installed about 10 years ago and clogs daily or more, and I'm hoping that the problem is the toilet. I've never seen any toilet clog as often as this one does - neither have many of my guests... We've pulled the toilet off and the toilet and pipes both look clean, but it still clogs and overflows quite often.

There's an existing 10" rough-in that I'd prefer not to change - it's a small bathroom, and expenses are tight.

Some members of the household are known for their 'toilet clogging abilities' regardless of the type of toilet (it's not the paper we're worried about) - so a good flusher would be much appreciated.

I need a new toilet!! Can anyone give me some suggestions?

sfphoenix75

Reaction score
As you'll see from poking around the site, Terry and most of the professional plumbers are big advocates of the Toto brand. I'm a homeowner and have a couple rental units, and I was just upgrading the toilet in one of them a couple weeks ago. It has a 14" rough in and I wasn't satisfied with the Home Depot choices, so I installed a Toto Vespin.

The Vespin and its related models install with a what Toto calls a Unifit adapter. The toilet comes standard with a 12" adapter, but you can buy a 10" to fit a 10" rough in. I did so with a 14" rough in adapter. Installing it was a breeze (much easier than a normal toilet install IMO) and something that any reasonably handy homeowner can do.

The only downsie is price -- this toilet was about $310 from my plumbing supply (actually I had to shop around a bit - I found some plumbing supply houses quoting as much as $370 for the same toilet). Plus to buy the 10" adapter usually costs about an extra $50.

That being said, you'll not worry about blockages again. Its got a super flush and is a super reliable toilet. As they say, buy quality cry once. Buy cheap cry twice (or more).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There was a price increase the beginning of February on the Vespin, Supreme, Ultimate and a few other items.

If you had a low quote, more likely, they didn't have the recent price book with them.

sfphoenix75

Reaction score
That may explain why a distributor closer to my house said he couldn't match the price without losing money. (Though I still doubt his margin was that low).

ChargerDawg

Reaction score
Does anyone know about a TOTO CST703.10? Is it as good as the Drake?
It fits a 10" rough-in.

Adenwork2

Reaction score
TOTO CST703.10? Is it as good as the Drake?
Flush is strong, not as strong as Drake. However CST703 splashes out of the bowl on to the floor when flushing more than most toilets. I don't like splashing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks