Need to move toilet,, & hire a pro,, ,but...

Users who are viewing this thread

gtpvette

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to start a bathroom remodel that includes moving the toilet and shower drain. After reading a number of the posts here,,, I think I’ll leave the actual disconnect reconnect of these drain pipes to a pro.

But in my effort to save a bit of money where possible,,, I’d like to rent a saw and cut up the slab having that ready when the plumber comes in. My questions for you all:

Would having the floor cut up pose a problem to the plumber,,,, that is they would want to do it or do you think they would be OK with it?

I’m assuming a 12†cut around the toilet flange locations would be about right,,,, along with a 6â€-8†cut for the runs. Does that sound about right??

Many Thanks!

Fred

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't think most plumbers care.

I would higher the plumber and have him magic marker on the concrete exactly where he wants the floor cut so there is no mistaking the opening he needs.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd think the trench would need to be wider than 6-8". You need to be able to get under the pipe to backfill it properly and you don't want to be cutting yourself on rough concrete when reaching in there to make connections. Maybe more in the order of 12-15", but probably the best thing would be to ask the plumber. You'll get some opinions here.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
concrete

If you cut the concrete without asking the plumber where he needs it cut, you will either be cutting more concrete or paying him more to run the pipes where you made the cuts. Hire the plumber and then let him mark the floor. But you have to be a glutton for punishment if you intend to cut them yourself. It is not an easy job unless you have the right equipment, and the right equipment is not cheap to rent.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with HJ. You will be time and money ahead if you just have the plumber cut what needs to be cut. By the time you rent or buy equipment to do the job any savings of the plumbers labor charge will be wiped out. Plus you run the risk of cutting in the wrong place, and you will have to deal with the dust and debris. I've been through the concrete breaking, and even with my own rotary hammer it's a hard, dirty job. With hindsight (20/20) I'd hire the pros to do the concrete cutting.

Dan Pick

Reaction score
Read my post on cutting and jack hammering to replace old CI drain line under slab. It posted a couple of weeks ago. The guys here talked me into having a Concrete Cutting Company give me a bid. I thought the bids were reasonable and they also quoted to come back and repour the concrete after the plumber finished. I needed an 11' trench about 12" wide and then recut around a ragged drain pit for a shower. Two bids: $943.00 and $600.00

The concrete cutter will be here on Tuesday March 6th. As soon as I figure out how to reduce the size of my pics I will post.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks