HELP! I am in the "inspection" phase of escrow on my first place. It is a first floor unit in a condo building built in 1981. Installed in all 3 bathrooms are these now-debunked "self venting" fans that, apparently, were considered an acceptable alternative to actual vents/fans for a few years in the early 80's. According to the general inspector, the self-venting (I think they just circulate air through an internal filter?) are worthless.
The master bath is is covered in mold and mildew. There is no window. The closest wall to the outside (as opposed to a wall shared with another condo unit) is on the opposite side of the master bedroom - about 50 ft. from the shower. There is a mold inspector coming in a few days. Is this reason enough to let the condo fall out of escrow?
Assuming that the home owner's association would even allow it, is there anyway to vent this bathroom? Is this going to cost thousands? Are there any alternative products like a de-humidifier that could be effective?
Talk to owners of other condos in the building. If you buy, they will be your voting neighbors who you will see at least once a year to vote on spending money on various solutions to common problems. You may as well get to know some of them right now.
Some of them will have had no problem with mold; a lot depends on how much living they did there. Daytime Presence causes humidity buildup.
The news is not good. Since you can see mold, there is going to be even more inside the walls.
edit: you can start with a quick review of the yearly meeting's minutes, to see who is who and what concerns were addressed formally. This is a good step for any buyer to do. It tells you things that the individual sellor may not disclose easily. This is one advantage that condo living provides to buyers.
Last edited by geniescience; 03-01-2007 at 06:07 AM.