Roofing Question

Users who are viewing this thread

brosnt1

Reaction score
When roofing a hip roof, are the shingles overlapped on the hip ridge or cut were they meet? and if they are overlapped, how far?

TedL

Reaction score
Follow the shingle manufacturer's installation instructions. Many product lines include hip/ridge shingles as a separate product.

brosnt1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Ted, but I don't think you understand my question probably because I didn't explain correctly, let me try again. the roof style I have is called a Hip Roof. it has 4 sides or angles coming down from 1 common ridge on the top of the building. Where these side meet with each other there is a less pronounced Ridge. When installing the regular shingles, do you overlap over these ridges or do you cut the shingles where they meet on the top of these ridges. I have checked the manufactures installation procedures and looked all over the net and can't find this information. I understand what you mean about the ridge shingles being a different product or type of shingle, but I am talking strictly about the regular roof shingles, and whether they overlap or get trimmed. I have installed shingles on a regular gable style roof and I usually overlap at the top, but with the less pronouced ridge of a hip roof I'm afraid it might be noticable.
thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks