Whining from water pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

hunyduz

Reaction score
I had 120 lbs of pressure due to a faulty PRV. I replaced it, and the reduced pressure (73lbs) did not allow the two upstairs toilet valves to open. They were replaced and now work fine.
The cold water line whines when any cold water faucet is used, so I cannot isolate the problem to a specific valve.
As the lines stabilize might it stop? Any ideas?

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Since the PRV and 2 fill valves were replaced try shutting off the fill valves 1 at a time and run the water and see if the noise goes away / changes. If not it may be a faulty PRV. You could try and change the pressure down 10# and see if it makes any difference.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I once had whinning from a supply tube going to a toilet. Did you change them at the same time ?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Did you use stainless steel flex connectors or the solid plastic type?

hunyduz

Reaction score
I used stainless steel.
I shut off the toilet valves one at a time, then both and still had the noise.
It appears to be initiated by the faucets in the upstairs bath, the furthest from the intake lines. Using other faucets does not do this until the upstairs faucets (now BOTH hot and cold) are used.
I've avoided adjusting pressure, but I may have to.

Coz

Reaction score
lbs

73 lbs is borderline high. see if you can get it down to say 55 and see if your problem goes away. I have had to double PRV`s to knock down pressure that high, A cheap valve will not last long. notice they range from 45 to 125 bucks for the same pressure ratings

hunyduz

Reaction score
I further reduced the pressure to 60, and the whining is now very infrequent.
Hopefully, a further reduction will not be needed. It all depends on what my wife decides.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks