Smell from Septic Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

SmellyInOhio

Reaction score
I have, what I beleve to be, sewer gas comming from my septic tank in the back yard ... How do I know for sure, and how can I eliminate it?

A little background

House Built in 1986 with 2 - 1000 Gal Concrete tanks and ~ 500 - 600 ft drainfeild, many many people have told me the field was WAY to small.
We moved in 2 years ago and had the some of the system replaced with a areator - sand filter - chlorinator - declortinaror type system, but the 2 - 1000 gal tanks were reused. The first tank still functions as a Septic / seperator tank, from there, the Areator, then from the areator, to the other old 1000 gal tank, then pumped to the sand filters. Next is the Chlor / dechlor then pump tank to open drainage ditch at the street.

The 2 tanks have 1 riser each exposed, other is burried with a tapered plug at the tank and a flat concrete list slightly above grade.

When we are out on the deck in the back we can always smell sewer gas, a bit more at night, but it's always there. This was the same with the old drainfield as well, it's one of the resons we looked at upgrading.

Anyone have any ideas?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I do not have any actual experience with an aerator, but logic would suggest the air it injects must ultimately escape somewhere.

I have my own drain fields vented, and last summer I very occasionally noticed a bit of an odor in the backyard. If that persists, I might install a small fan (such as used for composting toilets) in the 3" vent line going out through my roof. My previous assumption was that convection would take care of that, but now I am not so sure.

SmellyInOhio

Reaction score
coz said:
they also sell charcoal filters to go on the vent

Anyone have any opinions on the filters? Good, bad, worthless?

I also live in northern Ohio and have heard that there may be issues with the vents freezing over in the winter, any real issues with that?

... Yes, I know it took me a while to respond, to many projects, so little time ... :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks