Galv pipe vs balck iron/ teflon tape

Users who are viewing this thread

Riosman

Reaction score
Two questions

1. The inspector said to never to use teflon tape on gas pipe. Use dope. He stated never to use teflon tape on pipe threads
True?

2. Gas pipe under a raised floor: Galvanzed or black iron?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a teflon tape approved for gas (I think it is yellow?), but most people use pipe dope. But, you do what your local inspector wants...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

galvanized is not only proper for gas, but is required in some situations, such as exposed outdoors. The main reason for using black pipe is that it is cheaper.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
hj said:
galvanized is not only proper for gas, but is required in some situations ...

Whew, I am sure glad to hear that! In a few minutes, I am headed over to install a new blower motor in a widow's furnace, and I have been afraid to tell anyone that the last time I was there I had noticed the incoming gas line is galvanized!

R

Rancher

Riosman said:
He stated never to use teflon tape on pipe threads
True?
I'd always heard it was because a piece of the tape might break off and plug up an oriface.

Never did make sense to me.

Rancher

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Rancher said:
I'd always heard it was because a piece of the tape might break off and plug up an oriface.

Never did make sense to me.

I know of a situation where someone should have never been allowed to use pipe dope. He used so much and gooped it so heavily around the very end of the pipe that the water in the house tasted just like the stuff for several months afterward.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
4 TIGHT wraps of teflon tape than pipe dope. with this you will be able to back off a fitting 90 degrees and NEVER have a leak. teflon put on LOOSLEY is what causes problems

R

Rancher

hj said:
You cannot legally install black pipe underground even if it is wrapped, unless it first has a factory coating applied to it.
Is this a new change to the code?

Rancher

jfkopper

Reaction score
At least one state's plumbing code forbids the use of galvanized pipe for fuel gas plumbing. (Whether this prohibition is scientifically valid---I don't know.)

As always, best to do what the AHJ requires.

Be safe,
/kop

FredC

Reaction score
Tape Vs Dope + new gas water trap questrion

I was told 2 wraps of yellow teflon + dope on balck pipe. Never heard of that before & always used Rectorseal alonefor balck pipe. Is this OK or should you stick with one vs the other?

Do you need to install 3" long drip trap at the end of a vertical line going to a cooktop for propane??????

mrclean

Reaction score
Have always been told that drip leg lengths dont really matter....more a matter of preference with the local inspectors around here. And, the only gas piping we can bury is soft copper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks