(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Replacing tub and shower two handle faucet set

Default Replacing tub and shower two handle faucet set

I live in a 1950's house that has the original chrome bathtub/shower faucet set. Very standard set: faucet has diverter to showerhead and set included two X shaped handles (the type you need to remove with handle remover tool.)

Is it possible to replace this set with a new 2-handle tub/shower set, WITHOUT having to rip the wall open? I was looking at Lowe's and found several sets that match, but am not sure if the connecting hardware has changed in 50 years and thus a new set won't work on my existing plumbing.

FYI - I'll hire a plumber to do the actual replacement, but need to know if this project may involve ripping open my walls to replace the underlying pipes, etc. (If so, then I may stick with old hardware.)

I hope I've provided enough info - any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks. Cindy

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Maybe, but the more common thing to happen is they make a hole and use an oversized eschution plate to cover it up. If the plumbing backs up to a closet, or some other place where they can access the plumbing (a closet maybe?), they MIGHT be able to make a smaller hole. Note, if you are changing the fixture, unless you are fixing it, you normally would be required to update it to the current code which means use of either a pressure balanced or thermostatic controlled shower valve. These prevent the potential scalding that may occur from a change in water pressure that takes away the cold in the mix.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default faucet

There are a couple of brands that might still be upgradeable with new parts, but the majority of new faucets will not be backward compatible with what you have in your wall.

you can get stems for anything...you dont have to rip up your wall. dont waste your time. If i got the call id go there.. you say change these.. Id go get them and with my skill id remove the old put in the new that simple.

BTW home depot or lowes wont have the stems, another waste of time