Copper Repipe

Users who are viewing this thread

theo

Reaction score
Hi,

I paid $4000 for a copper repipe. The contractor replaced all the pipes under the house but he said the main pipe outside of the house is not part of the repipe package. Is this true?

Now he is asking for $3500 to replace the 1" pipe that runs underneath my lawn from the sidewalk to the outside of my house.

Thanks for any replies.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
main

It depends on how he specified it in the contract. It could be either way depending on the exact wording, although just saying "repiping" would imply inside the house but again it is subject to interpretation or the actual wording. It appears to be high, but we do not know what size, how long, how deep, or what is in the way.

Last edited:

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
It's so hard to say whether that $4000 pricetag is high or not. I've charged that much for repiping waterlines and I've charged less. It really depends on what all was involved, how many feet of copper, how tight the workspace was, etc. etc.

On the subject of the water service coming into the house, it really does depend on what the contract reads. I always bid outside and inside work separately as a general rule, but thats me. I'm sure other plumbers do things differently.

good luck

Jrejre

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber, but as a homeowner I would not expect the supply line to be included in a repipe unless I asked for it and it was called out in the bid specifically.

For what it's worth, I just paid a little over $2,000 for a new supply line. I agree that both jobs are highly variable by what exactly needs to be done.

Not much help. That said, the outside line sounds high. How long a run is it?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm with the other plumbers.

A "repipe" means replacing the pipes in the home.
Even that depends on the language of the contract.
Not everything may be included, but should be spelled out.
In a contract, I will specify the old fitting I'm starting from.
My preference is to replace pipe to every valve, and in most cases replacement of the tub and shower valves. Not every homeowner wants that though.
A nice job is to add an expansion tank, hammer arrestors at the dishwasher, clothes washer, and ice maker. New code on shower faucets is for them to be pressure balanced or thermal balanced.

Outside work would be a "water service replacement".

repipe1

Reaction score
You can always save tons of cash and get an excellent quality repipe from REPIPE1

www.Repipe1.com at 866-REPIPE1 repipes 2 bathroom complete houses for $3499 with city inspection, wall repair, and a lifetime warranty. Why pay more? These guys are fast, clean and efficient.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks