insulating around recessed lighting

Users who are viewing this thread

possum

Reaction score
I have recessed lights in the bulkhead of my kitchen I can fill the cold air dropping right out of them I checked in the attic above them and there was no insulation in the bulk head is it safe to insulate around them or could this cause fire?? thanks for the help

TedL

Reaction score
Check the labeling on the fixture to see if it's rated for "Insulation Contact" oc "IC".

If not, assume you have to keep insulation 3" away.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If they aren't IC rated, you could replace them or build a box around them with an air gap, then insulate over them. You might want to check with the manufacturer as to the required minimum air gap. After doing all of that, it might be just as easy to replace with a sealed IC rated fixture - these not only can have insulation over them, they are sealed so they don't leak air. An IC rated one is not necessarily also sealed, so check carefully. One I was actually looking at last night was rated at no more than 2 CF/hour infiltration, which is decent.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What you really want is fixtures designaed ICAT .... insulation contact, air tight. The air tight fixtures are sealed agains air loss or infiltration.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks