Swanstone Wall Panels

Users who are viewing this thread

BS

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install Swanstone bathtub wall panels and have a few questions for those who have experience with these.

I've removed the original fiberglas surround and left the 21" of drywall that was above it to the ceiling. I'll be installing new drywall over the exposed studs so that all three walls will be completed sheathed in drywall. I do not intend to tape the joints between the old and new drywall because the Swanstone panels (which will be glued to the drywall) will cover these joints. I'll keep the bottom edge of the drywall about 1/4" above the top of the tub's installation flange. The instructions say nothing about a vapor barrier so I don't think I need to install one. Or do I?

All of the studs in the bathtub alcove are perfectly plumb (in this house, that's amazing), although one or two stick out a little bit. I could shave them down but I'm concerned that doing so will cause the joints between the old and new drywall not to be flush, affecting the contact surface between the drywall and Swanstone panels. If I were to leave the studs as they are, will the panels conform to the slight curvature in the drywall and remain adhered? Or does the wall have to be perfectly flat?

Should the panels rest on the tub or be suspended slightly above it (say 1/8") as with a tiled wall? Given the weight of these panels, it seems they should rest on the tub, but the instructions say nothing about this. (The tub is Swanstone Veritek.)

Finally, do the wall corners have to be perfectly square (90 deg.) or can the corner molding and trim tolerate slight variation?

Comments (+ or -) about any of this would be most appreciated. Thanks.

- Bernie

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
swanstone panels are very nice..

If you have a perfectly plumb situation

you are very lucky and

you ought to go out and buy some lottery tickets.....

cause it dont happen often...

you should set the panels directly on the tub,

of course do the back wall first
they are heavy and will probably settle to it anyway...

I suggest
you would be wise to run a bead of clear 100% silicone along the
bottom and perhaps up a 1/2 inch or so on the drywall to totally make that seam 100% water proof....
then wipe of the excess with a rag

the side walls will never work out exactly perfect...

.and that is what those side and corner trim pieces are for..
they really can hide some nasty gaps and angles..

again the Clear silicone is the answer to fill in the nasty gaps
and glue the trim over the gaps with...

the trim will never leak or
ever come down again once the silicone has set up....

its a good idea to tape the trim in place till it sets up
cause you certainly dont want it to move on you

have fun..

BS

Reaction score
Lessons-Learned?

Thanks, Master Plumber. Your answers will help me install the panels with more confidence. I forgot to ask about whether a corner that's a little greater than 90 deg will affect the installation of a soap dish since the soap dish is installed by gluing it into the corner. Any experience with that?

Has anyone out there had any trouble installing the Swanstone panels or any lessons-learned or other tips to pass on before I tackle this project?

- Bernie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks